Chapter 34

We didn't do anything wild. I really didn't have much time, so we just took a longer route to my house and talked. He told me about his parents and his part-time job as a lifeguard, as well as his dog and his favorite food. I asked him what it was like having cops as parents and he told me the good and the bad of it. Sometimes he got to borrow an old cop car they had, and other times he wouldn't see them for a couple of days. He peppered questions in with every answer he gave so that I was talking just as much, if not more than he was. He tricked me into feeling calm and comfortable, despite all the warning bells ringing in my head.

I was surprised to see that nearly an hour had passed since we left the school. That's what cruising on slow roads with an interesting person does to you, I suppose.

He pulled up to my gate and stopped the car hesitantly. I wasn't really sure if the gate code was something we were supposed to be sharing with people, so I told him I didn't mind the little walk up the path.

"Hey, do you have a partner for our final project in Marine Bio?" Asher asked hopefully. Our teacher had assigned us a PowerPoint today that needed all sorts of sources and information in it.

"Yeah! I was going to ask Caleb if he wanted to be my partner," I remembered. He looked down and then back at me, giving me a nod and an artificial smile.

"No worries, I'll find someone else!" he reassured me.

I realized what he was asking. "Oh! No" I said hurriedly. "I'll be your partner. I'll just tell him I'm working with a girl friend."

Asher smirked at the thoughtful face I was making.

"Do you have to lie to your brothers?" he teased, biting his lip. His grey eyes twinkled and I knew he was laughing at me.

"No, I can tell them the truth!" I argued automatically.

"Perfect. Can I come over this weekend to work on it then?" he countered, knowing that I would refuse him.

"Yes," I replied angelically. "That sounds perfect."

He raised his eyebrows and chuckled.

"You sure?" he asked genuinely, giving me an out. My pride wasn't having it.

"Positive."

Suddenly he turned with confusion to look out the front windshield. I saw Dominic marching out of the open garage, wiping his hands off on a rag, and squinting at Asher. He either couldn't tell who it was or was trying to look intimidating from a distance.

"I'll text you, but you better head out," I said, scrunching up my face in annoyance.

His car took off with enthusiasm and I laughed as the wind from it pushed my hair back off my face. I walked up to the house, slowing my walk when I reached Dominic, who was standing outside the garage with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Who was that?" Dom called out, looking down at me with his face like a mask. His shirt sleeves were rolled up and he had a bandana rolled across his forehead. There were black stains and streaks on his clothes and arms, and I assumed he was working on the motorcycle or a car.

"How are you today?" I said to change the subject. I tried to look young and adorable, but he just rolled his eyes.

"Shut up. Who was that?" Dominic insisted as I got closer.

"No one," I replied innocently.

"Oh yeah? Why is no one driving you instead of Damon?" he asked, jaw clenched as he crossed his arms over his chest. I gave a dramatic sigh and looked up at him skeptically.

"Is that any of your business?" I asked, smirking at his shocked expression. These boys really never expected me to counter them.

"I think you're forgetting who you're talking to, little girl." He said, pulling me in and wrapping an arm around my neck so I was stuck in place. He kept the pressure loose so I wasn't genuinely scared but wouldn't let me wriggle free.

I fought him for a minute and then pulled away and laughed.

"It was a boy." I finally admit, praying that no hint of pink touched my cheeks. I cracked my knuckles and looked away, then tried to look in his eyes so he wouldn't read into things too much.

"Boys are dangerous." He replied immediately, stiffening up.

"You're preaching to the choir, Dom."

He nudged me as I walked by him to the door. "Tell me the next time you're with a boy, Maya! I mean it."

I turned around and walked backwards, avoiding his tools and mechanical pieces gingerly.

"What are you going to do if I tell you?" I asked realistically.

"Follow you on the bike!" he said loudly. "Kill him if he makes a move!"

"Well, if he's driving, wouldn't that knock both of us off the road?" I teased.

"I'll pull you onto the bike first." He suggested, in a superior tone.

"Through the window of the car?" I asked with false seriousness, smirking.

He thought about it and then nodded confidently.

"Well, as long as you've thought it through logically," I replied, opening the door to the house, and heading inside.

"You better tell me next time, My!" he threatened, voice echoing ominously in the garage.

"I wouldn't miss a chance to see your glorious plan put into action," I said with a wink as I closed the door behind me. He seemed to accept this while I smiled deviously to myself. After all, I hadn't exactly said yes.