Chapter 6

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I held a finger up to Mav. He nodded and started dancing with someone nearby, letting me slip away to answer my call.

"Hello?" I practically screamed into the phone.

"Maya? Lucy and I just got here! We can't find JJ! Where are you?" Cassie shouted back. I could hear the music blaring in the background of her call and people talking too.

"I'm on the dance floor! Meet in the kitchen?"

"Where even is that?" Cassie demanded with a laugh. She was completely in her element.

"Straight down the front hall and to the right!"

She said something in response that I couldn't quite make out, so I gingerly hung up and went back to tell Mav where I was going. He gave me a thumbs up, so I booked it to the kitchen.

"Excuse me! Sorry! Coming through!" I shouted to the grinding girls and burly guys that were blocking my way. I finally broke out of the main crowd and made it into the kitchen. I went to the drinks and looked around for Caleb, or a flash of his blond hair. Nobody in sight.

I grabbed a red cup and opened the vodka bottle before pouring a little in. Is that enough? Do you measure it or something? I poured a little more and then put the lid back on. It would have to do. I topped it off with lemonade and orange juice and prayed that I wouldn't hate the flavor. Just as I pressed the cup to my lip, I heard my name.

"Maya Anders!"

I spun around and jumped. The drink splashed but luckily remained in the cup. I breathed out a huge sigh of relief as I saw my two friends run up to me.

"Are you drinking?" Lucy asked, eyes wide with a tentative grin. She was wearing a black dress with a little bedazzled white collar and high tops.

"Maybe," I said back, winking at her. I took a sip and controlled my expression before placing it on the counter (definitely too much vodka).

"Of course she is! It's a party isn't it?" Cassie said, smiling like the devil and making herself a drink much more efficiently. She wore black ripped jeans and a tight shirt that showed off her curvaceous figure. I didn't bother comparing myself. I didn't want people to notice my body anyway, and they definitely would if I looked like her. I sipped on my drink as Cassie made one for Lucy, too.

"Have you seen Asher?" Cassie asked, eyes wide.

"Or JJ?" Lucy added nervously.

"Nope! But I did see Caleb." I said, rolling my eyes. "The boys sent him to watch over me or something."

"That's our job!" Cassie said protectively, putting an arm around my waist and walking us to the backyard area I didn't know was open. There were wicker armchairs with big brown cushions surrounding a firepit that a couple of people were sitting around.

I would've turned back but Cassie asked, "Mind if we join you?" They nodded their head in the direction of two open chairs, so Lucy and Cassie squeezed into one together. I sat opposite them and smiled at the firelight as it flickered towards the sky. The seats opened up as we talked and sipped our drinks, watching the fire like it had life-saving information deep in the heart of it. I was relaxing by the second, and the drink was helping. The more I gulped down my drink, the more my shoulders relaxed, and my body became loose.

Someone sat in the chair beside me and said, "Mesmerizing, isn't it?"

I looked up from the warm glow to see Asher in his casual clothes.

"You found me!" I exclaimed. As I turned to face him, I giggled. My body was starting to feel the effects of the alcohol more strongly. I moved freely and uninhibited, reacting in real time without overthinking my actions.

"I did." He said with surprise in his eyes.

"Why are you surprised?" I asked, saying the first words that had come to my mind. Normally I didn't analyze people out loud.

He looked even more surprised at that and laughed.

"You read people a lot, don't you?" he asked. I lifted up one shoulder and smiled.

"Maybe I do, maybe I don't," I replied cryptically.

"Aww and here I thought you were just buzzed enough that you'd tell me all of your secrets." He said as he sunk back into his chair and grinned.

I leaned over and put my mouth right next to his ear before whispering "Never." His back muscle seemed to tighten beneath his black shirt, and I looked at him curiously. Was he nervous or something?

I pulled back and turned to Cassie and Lucy. They had finally found two empty seats that they were now sitting in comfortably as they talked to each other. Lucy was animated and bouncing as she tried to explain an anime show she had started recently and why it was the greatest thing she'd ever seen. Cassie sent me a look over her head and a little nod that said "I'll handle drunk Lucy. You have fun with Asher."

"Do you want to go dance?" Asher asked, holding out a hand. He was standing next to me now, how did I not see him get up?

I felt a buzz in my pocket and pulled out my phone to see a text from Caleb.

C: Leaving now, do you want to ride with me, or get a ride from Dominic later?

I fumbled with my phone and texted back.

M: Ride with Dom. Byee!

I placed my hand in Asher's and said, "I'd love to dance! Drinks first?" 

- - - - - - - - - - - - 

A/N: That's Lucy up top! Isn't she so cute!! ^.^