18; Homecoming

𝙾𝚌𝚝𝚘𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟸𝚗𝚍, 𝙵𝚛𝚒𝚍𝚊𝚢
Parkers POV

I know that I should be on cloud nine after such a stellar presentation with Miles, yet my stomach is in knots after school ends.

The world around me feels coated in molasses as I drive back home, the sports car turning into a tractor under the gas pedal.

It's like the world is taunting me by dangling that wonderful time with Miles in front of my face and then saying, "Oh, you want this? First, you need to put yourself on a silver platter for the people around you for entertainment. Throw straight shots while you're at it."

The air inside my car suddenly turns still and stale, making my lungs squeeze like an empty soda can. Even with the blasting A/C hitting my skin, it's not enough air. I jam my finger on the window button, gasping as fresh oxygen enters my airway. It's probably not safe to drive while light-headed, but I need to get my ass home and prepare for this game.

Instead of being able to momentarily forget all the upcoming shit tonight, the cherry on top starts to call me, the chime vibrating through my car speakers.

I exhale sharply before rolling up my window and clicking the accept button on my wheel. "What's the problem, Greyson?"

"No problem here, son!" Son. I make a face at the windshield as he keeps talking. "I wanted to call and see how you're doing. Are you feeling okay for the game tonight?"

Are you calling all 35 players on your team to check up with them, uncle? No? Then don't call me either.

"I feel fine!" The lie hurts as I speak it. "There's no need to worry about me. You know that."

"Mhm." Greyson hums. I can almost see his chin tilt down, his arms crossing as he gives me that coach look. "I know that there's no need, but I worry anyway. Perks of you being my nephew."

Translation: Perks of being my star player and money maker.

"Yeah yeah, I know. If you happen to be calling to talk about whatever happened at practice the other night, then forget about it. Pretend that didn't happen because my head is in the right space tonight." I have to throw that into our conversation.

That was probably on his mind too, because Greyson hums again, staying quiet for a moment before answering."I trust you, kid. I know you were distracted at that practice, and that's on me. I should have warned you about those scouts."

Again, I chew on my cheek as I listen. Here he goes, assuming that my distracted mind is only about sports.

"This is a big event tonight, but out of all the boys, I know you'll have your head in the game. It was time you had one bad day, and I'm glad it happened at practice. Now that it's out of the way, we can focus on having a fun night."

All of these assumptions. Was it really one bad day? Is this abundance of sport-stress really Greyson's idea of having fun?

"Uh-huh." I have no choice but to agree bluntly, sliding the wheel under my hands as I pull into my neighborhood. "Yeah, I hear you. It's all out of my system, man. I'm ready for a good night. Let's go raise some hell."

I throw in that last part only to make him happy.

"Hell yeah! That's my nephew!" Greyson laughs, his tone perking up. Seriously, this guy is too easy.