Seventy Five

"C'mon, Emma! We've already done this, this morning!"

I nod with a huff before crossing my arms. "Exactly!" I exclaim. "I don't need to do it again."

Hanji stands by my bedside glowering down at me as intimidating as possible. Dressed in her usual button shirt and slacks attire, she crossed her arms while balling bandages in her hands. She had stood there for at least five minutes now.

"Emma, I need to change your bandages. Your wounds are still fresh which means they can get infected."

I instinctively roll my eyes. She has been persistent these past couple of days about how my bandages must be changed. I hated the process entirely and made it quite clear.

The mere image of taking off my clothing, looking at myself in the mirror, seeing those ugly wounds—I bite my inner cheek. I couldn't do it. I didn't want to see myself.

"Fine then," I mutter. "They can get infected all they want. It won't change the fact that it'll leave scars all over my body."

The mere truth didn't settle well with Hanji. I listen to the way she had shifted her feet after a moment. I look back at her, locking eyes with her sympathetic ones.

Nothing shows upon my face except for a deep frown. Everything about me now, what I'd become after my torturous time as Edward's captive—was hideous. My whole body marred with wounds and my hair chopped till it was millimeters passed my chin.

There were also ugly bruises upon my arms and legs that they were too purple to even look at. I was a mess both physically and mentally. I couldn't bring myself to tell Hanji about why I'd cried two days ago or why I wouldn't allow visitors into my room.

I wasn't ready to see Levi or ready to hear such terrible words he'll say. His conversation with Erwin was still fresh on my mind and, no matter what I did—I could still hear his words.

It's none of your concern.

Unintentionally I shivered at the memory.

"He's gone, you know," I hear Hanji mumble. Looking back at her I watch as she places the bandages on my bedside table before sitting on the bed. She was careful to keep a small distance between us. "He's dead, Emma. He can't hurt you no longer."

I bite my lower lip refusing to grimace at her words. Him—as in Edward. Killed the night Hanji and Levi planned a rescue mission for me.

I simply nod. She had told me everything from Levi killing Edward to me being presumed dead on the scene. She hadn't gone into great detail on that though. And I've never pushed.

"I know," I finally breathe. "It's just—it's just still fresh."

A deep frown comes to my face matching Hanji's. I wasn't lying nor was I was telling the whole truth. Of course, I mainly worried about how hideous my body became and Levi's true thoughts of me but, trying to cope with Edward being dead was—difficult.

I could still feel him beating me. Could still hear his angry yells and psychotic laughter. My heart stilled at the memory of the unforgiving torture I've went though.

I crumpled the sheets within my fists, there was that cold chill again. It was getting worse the more I think of him and how close to death I was. I swallow thickly, if only—if only Levi could be here.

If only I could feel the warmth of his hand. Something stirs inside me and it felt I was being submerged under water. My chest tightens while the ability to breathe suddenly became difficult and taxing. And it fucking hurt.