Sixty Seven

I was in my seventh year when my mother left. She had told me she needed a bouquet of flowers for a reason I didn't know. On that very day a bouquet did show up at the doorstep of my home but, my mother was nowhere in sight.

I was too dumb, too young to realize she left my father and I. I held on to that stupid hope that she would come back for us. Days went by and I clung onto that bouquet as I sat on the steps outside of our home waiting.

I began to wonder why she left, we had a good life in our small village. She loved me dearly, so if she left why leave me? My father didn't handle my mother's disappearance well.

He turned to drinking, having at least a few bottles a day to drown out that pain. I couldn't do anything about it and watched him slowly waste away. No longer was I allowed outside, my father forbidding me to in fear I would leave him as well.

If I tried a beating would surely be the answer. Months went by and my only source of entertainment were books and staring out a dirty window. I began to hate my father.

Hated how he gave up on us, no longer did he have a job and I was destined to die along his side in our filthy house. Hated that I was locked up like a caged bird who wished for nothing but freedom from my father's clutches.

As any child would I began to dream of a boy, a prince maybe, that would come and save me from my misfortune and grant me life under the sun. And that's when I met Chris. He had such beautiful green eyes, mesmerizing to look at.

His ruffled dusty blond hair always covered his forehead. That dashing smile he always wore when he was surrounded by other children. For days I watched him and the others play.

My longing to be beside him to maybe talk to him or play with him grew each day. But I was afraid of my father. I would mention this many times but he would slap me in answer.

So all I could do was watch, wishing he could at least notice me. Then one day that simple wish came true. Chris was alone one day, kicking a small stone on the dirt path.

He was walking past my house and I knew it was the perfect opportunity. I had made sure my father had passed out on the bug-eaten couch before knocking on the window. That's when he saw me and at that very moment, he smiled.

Smiled so kindly that it brought butterflies to my stomach. He had beckoned me to come outside, I think all his friends were busy. But I knew I wouldn't, not when my body was still sore.

Chris's smile was beckoning though. So enticing I wanted to feel myself smile too. I remember running out to him like a puppy finally seeing its owner.

Just like that my youthful heart had given itself to this boy. A boy who smiled at me when no one else did. Someone who took interest in me.

Someone who made my life just a little better. Days had turned into weeks and weeks turned into months. I would sneak out just to play with Chris, our bond growing stronger each day.

He became my friend, my only friend. And he didn't mind, he stood by me no matter how difficult my situation was. When my father found out he broken my leg for punishment.

I didn't see Chris for many months after that. He never tried to visit me and I was sure he gave up on seeing me. I was locked in my house once more with only my drunken, raging father to keep me company.