26 - The Many Lies and Promises of Tyler Stanford

Tyler wouldn't consider himself 'good with girls'. He had many female friends during elementary school, all thanks to hanging around his sisters, but once he was living with his father, and high school began, he found it hard to hold a conversation with anyone of the female persuasion. Even girls he wasn't attracted to.

As he walked up to Layla, a million worrying thoughts entered his head. He wondered if he could even talk to her normally without being dressed as a girl. Would she like who Tyler really was? Would she recognize him? Before he could come up with an answer to any of these questions, he was beside her, far enough that it wasn't creepy, but close enough that she knew he was there.

'It's a beautiful view, isn't it?' Tyler said after some silence. She said nothing. Tyler waited for a moment, cleared his throat, and then said it again. 'It's a beautiful view, isn't it?' Again nothing. Tyler cleared his throat once more and was basically yelling at this point. 'It's a beautiful view, isn't it!'

Layla looked at him and took the earbuds out of her ears. Tyler wanted to strangle himself for being so stupid. 'Were you talking to me?' she said. She wasn't wearing much makeup, only black eyeliner, and some eyeshadow. She looked as pretty as she did the day they met.

Tyler's face flushed red as she looked at him. 'Just thinking out loud.'

Layla nodded. 'Oh. Okay.' She placed the earbuds back in her ears and walked away, obviously a bit unnerved by his presence. On the bright side, she didn't recognize him, but hell, it almost would have helped if she did. Tyler needed something to keep her with him, some sort of connection. A lie that would force her interest.

Then it hit him. Tyler jogged back to her and tapped on her shoulder. She reluctantly took the earbuds out again, this time looking a bit worried.

'Do I know you?' Tyler asked.

Layla raised an eyebrow. 'That's a horrible pick-up line.'

Tyler pretended to think it over, and then finally come to answer. 'You're Layla, aren't you? My sister mentioned that she met you.'

'Whose your sister?'

'Taylor Stanford.'

Layla lit up at the mention of her. 'You're Taylor and Alicia's brother! I knew they had a brother! I never knew Alicia and Taylor were part of a set of triplets!'

'Taylor talked about you all night when she came home. She really enjoyed meeting you.'

Layla blushed a little. 'Tell her the feeling was more than mutual.' The conversation waned a bit before Layla picked it up, catching Tyler off guard. 'What school do you go to, considering your sisters are at Priscilla Girls.'

Tyler panicked for a moment. Layla was a public-school girl, and he couldn't remember which one in the Vancouver area she went to. 'I'm actually home-schooled...by my dad.'

'Bella told my sister that your dad was away.'

'I'm on vacation now,' Tyler said quickly. 'Spending time with the other side of the family.' That answer seemed to satisfy Layla. 'For a few months,' Tyler added. If he was going to date her, he had to give her a reason to want to for more than a few days.

'You must be Tyson then!'

'Tyler,' Tyler corrected.

'Sorry! I'm bad with names.'

'Isn't that funny because I am too!' Tyler had to try everything in the book. 'From what Taylor was saying, I think we have a lot in common.'

'Do you play a lot of video games?'

'Unhealthily.'

'Watch anime?'

'Till 3.00am each night.'

'You like to draw?'

'Never really tried.'

Layla smiled. 'You and your sister are a lot alike. Taylor, I mean! Not really Alicia, from what I've seen anyway.'

'Yeah, Taylor and I pretty much do everything together. Sometimes, people think we're even the same person! Isn't that nuts?'

Layla laughed. 'I wish my sister and I were that close. I love her very much but she's a bit brain dead when it comes to video games and anime. She likes my drawings at least.'

Tyler perked up. 'You're an artist?'

'I like drawing anime characters and making up my own. One day, I want to make my own web comic.'

'That's really cool. I've always wanted to write one.' It was a lie, but truthfully Tyler liked to write, though he knew his skill level probably didn't match how good Layla was at drawing.

Layla seemed to like his idea. 'We can make one together! It'll be like Bakuman! Have you ever seen or read Bakuman?'

Tyler racked his brain. 'The one with the balls that come to life?'

Layla giggled. 'No, the one with the two friends who write their own manga. That could be us.' She paused. 'I'm sorry,' she said glumly. 'We've only just met. I don't know why I'm telling you all of this. Talking with you just feels like...you're Taylor. Not that you're her! It's just as easy to talk with her as it is you, that's all.'

'How about we get to know each other a little better first? There's a Chinese place down the street that's still open. If you're comfortable with that.'

Layla thought for a second, then smiled. 'Only if you're paying.'

-

Tyler was only reminded of his curfew the second it turned 10.30, and Bella texted, 'WHERE R U?' The night had flown by, just like the day at the convention. Being with Layla made it feel like they were the only two people on Earth. Time slipped by, lost in the moment as their conversation never faltered.

The terrible Chinese food didn't shatter the mood in the slightest. It only heightened it. They joked about it, laughed about, Layla even wrote a song about it, every second with her was pure bliss for Tyler. He was in love. Oh boy, was he in love.

'Thanks for the terrible food,' Layla said, grinning as Tyler held the door open for her.

'Any time.' They walked down the sidewalk, heading to the point that Tyler indicated Bella pick him up. Layla said she'd take the bus home, but if she lived close...

Bella rolled up after Tyler and Layla had a brief conversation about their favorite moment from Attack on Titan. A look of unparalleled surprise flew over Bella's face the minute she noticed Tyler was with Layla. It soon turned into a smile.

'Hop in you two. I'll drive you home, Layla.' Layla didn't argue and hopped in the backseat next to Tyler.

'How did you two meet?' Bella asked as she drove through the nearly empty Vancouver streets.

'We met up at the Sky Needle,' Layla answered. 'I thought he was a creep at first, until he introduced himself.'

'Classic Tyler,' Bella chuckled.

'How's Taylor doing?' Layla asked.

'Oh, you know,' Bella said, struggling to come up with an answer. 'Same old, same old.'

'Will she be at Isabelle Chen's party in two weeks? I go to school with Isabelle and she said her party is open to all.'

Bella looked over at Tyler. 'Taylor will definitely be there,' Bella answered slyly.

'You should come too, Tyler!' Layla exclaimed. 'I'd love it if you did.'

Tyler answered without hesitation, thinking little of the consequences. 'Of course I'll be there.'

Layla grinned. 'Sweet.' Bella gave Tyler a confused if a bit devious look. They waved their goodbyes as they dropped Layla off at the apartment block she lived at, and Tyler hopped into the front seat beside his sister.

'So Tyler and Taylor are BOTH going to the party, huh?'

'I wasn't thinking rationally again,' Tyler said. 'I don't know what to do.'

'Don't look at me, baby bro. This is your mess now. And I can't wait to see how the hell you're going to deal with it.'