treinta y ocho

Walking into Chris' house in Crenshaw, Mariposa felt like there was writing on her forehead saying something like "From Beverly" by the way everyone in the house stared.  The rest of the Beverly kids walking in didn't exactly help because they were the only white kids in the entire house.  Everyone split up, Mariposa running to find a bathroom while Olivia went to look for Layla and everyone else went to mingle and get drinks. What was initially supposed to be getting some sort of support turned into a little fight because the twins were upset their friends knew of their dad's affair.

Mariposa walked out of the bathroom and unfortunately bumped into JJ, literally. The two awkwardly stood in the hallway, which was much smaller than their hallways in their Beverly homes, and tried to get pass each other. They both tried to side step one another, but both kept stepping in the same direction. After bumping into each other about five times, JJ cleared his throat and moved to press himself against the wall and let Mariposa pass by. She sent him a little smile before speed walking away to find Olivia. She found all of her Beverly friends, but no Olivia, so she went outside to the backyard.

Olivia was sitting on a little lounge chair off to the side of the backyard, near the fence dividing the backyard from the neighbors, with her phone and two cans. "They didn't have Caprisun." She said quietly, not bothering to tell Mariposa how Asher was the one that stopped her from drinking out of a red solo cup and breaking her one-year sobriety. Mariposa sat beside her, taking the can of sparkling water as they watched the party play out in the backyard. "Layla and Spencer both knew of the affair."

"They what?"  The two were speaking quietly, at least as quiet as they could considering they still had to speak loud enough to be heard over the pounding music.  "For how long?"

Olivia shrugged, a subtle pout on her lips as she played with the top of her can.  "Layla found out yesterday, Spencer's known for a few days or something." It was obvious she didn't want to talk about it anymore, at least not in public in case she started crying, so Mariposa just tilted her head to rest it on Olivia's shoulder as they sat in silence. "Can we get food from your house later?"

Mariposa nodded her head, of course, and said, "My mom made pozole."

Olivia laughed softly and leaned her head against Mariposa's. "Maripozole." She said quietly. "Are we still doing our sunset picnic at the beach for you birthday on Sunday?"

"If we don't, you better be throwing me a surprise party. I have my outfit picked out and everything."

"I still have our birthday tiara." Olivia stated. Ever since they were 7 years old, the two have been sharing a birthday tiara. It's a new one every few years, but the one Olivia was referring to was the one they got for their 15th birthday, not the one Mariposa wore to her quinceañera though.

Their moment of quietness was interrupted by everyone in the middle of the backyard yelling and crowding around each other. Mariposa could spot JJ because of his obnoxiously pastel pink jacket, and in front of him was Jordan who then turned around to shove Spencer off of him. "I really hope they don't call us over, I'm tired."

Before Olivia could respond with her agreement, the music was turned down and Chris started shouting. "I think it's time for you Beverly boys to go. Party's over!"

The girls both perked up and Mariposa started to clap quietly. "It's pozole time! We can get some for mama and bring it back to your house to watch movies."

× × ×

Like they had planned, the girls had gone to the beach for their sunset birthday picnic. They shared a blanket in the grass, over looking the water and sand like a little cliff, while their families and close friends were at the tables around them, a couple of them on their own blankets. Mariposa had on a dress with heels, since the picnic party was somewhat formal and she wanted to look good, and Olivia was in a similar outfit, but hers was emerald green and didn't stand out as much, in the sense that hers wasn't sparkly. That way Mariposa was in the spotlight all night.