chapter ten ; shameless

AMOS

"And then he carried you guys over to the bed as well," I recalled. "I can't believe you guys were  so careless."

"Shut up, I'm hungover and this headache is killing me," Ethan complained. 

"Are you even hearing me right now?" I complained. "I let a stranger into my home because the three of you didn't want to drink like responsible adults. We're not in high school or college anymore, you guys."

"Okay mom, my bad," Dustin yawned before sitting up straight, brushing his hair out of his face. "Who does this bed belong to?"

"Alex and I share a bed."

"Well, looks like you guys will have to share the floor tonight," Dustin snorted.

"Why?" I questioned, walking over to the bed where Dustin and Ethan lay.

"I must've pissed myself in my sleep, I don't know," he shrugged casually. "Anyway, what were you saying about letting a stranger into your house?"

"Did you just say you pissed on our bed?" Alex questioned, taking his headphones off and spinning around in his chair to shoot Dustin a look of confusion.

"Hell yeah, and I'll do it again," he stated proudly. 

"I'm totally suing you for this," Alex joked. "Not only can he not drink like a responsible adult, apparently he pisses his diapies like a little kid too."

"Not my fault. It just felt really nice being able to sleep in a room without having the people next door playing their music louder than what the average human ear can handle," he confessed.

"Who the hell calls it 'diapies'?" Ethan scoffed.

"You guys are completely missing my point," I sighed. "This guy who I've only spoken to twice, now thrice, knows where I live and even walked into the house to help me get you guys home even though you guys promised me you'd drink responsibly this time."

"Was he hot?" Ethan questioned, looking over at me for confirmation. I dismissed him with a disappointed sigh, "Whatever. Just make sure you guys don't repeat this."

"Kind of convenient how you keep seeing him, don't you think?" Alex commented, throwing his feet onto the desk and crossing one over the other whilst simultaneously leaning back against his chair with a yawn. 

"That's not the point either," I huffed, crossing my arms and pouting like a toddler. "Imagine if he hadn't showed up. We would've had to sleep in the car. I would've been late to work today.. and you guys slept through a whole day? Won't your bosses be looking for you?"

"I showed up to work actually," Alex said. "Just a couple hours late."

"I don't give a shit about work at this point," Dustin sighed. "My boss would be glad that I didn't show up."

"Why do you say that?" Ethan asked curiously. "Does he hate you?"

"The fucker called me a drag queen for painting my nails," he started. "So now I twerk whenever I see him. Drives him nuts, really. Don't know why he hasn't fired me yet."

"Power move, my dude," Alex chuckled. "Amos, you getting any Grindr matches?"

"I haven't been on that app," I said honestly. "And I'm not going to be getting on it any time soon, need I remind you. I'm doing perfectly fine on my own."

"Grindr, you said?" Dustin enquired, now suddenly interested. "Our Amos is putting himself out there, huh?" 

"I'm not," I protested. "It wasn't even my idea. Alex did it completely without my consent."

"Then why haven't you deleted the app yet?" Ethan snorted. "I mean, the phone's with you right now. You could just delete it."

"Shut up," I scoffed. "Now I'm definitely not going to be deleting it just because you asked me to."

"You just want an excuse to be gay," Alex joked. 

I turned around to face him, but before I could say anything, he got up and made his way over to me, his expression being that of guilt. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I just wanted to apologize," he sighed, taking my hand in his. "For drinking irresponsibly and leaving you with Micah. I can't imagine how you must've felt being in that situation. Must've been tough for you, huh?"

"Yeah, it was pretty tough," I admitted. "I didn't even know what to do until he showed up. Convenient timing, like you said."

"Yeah yeah," he said, waving me off. "Like I was saying.. I feel horrible for breaking that promise and not watching my alcohol intake. I just wanted to let you know, that if I could turn back time and fix things to make sure I drank like a responsible adult.."

"Mhm?" I urged, looking him right in the eyes.

"If I could turn back time," he repeated with a heavy sigh. "I wouldn't."

Ethan and Dustin let out a synchronized "Oooh!" as I stared at Alex with zero emotions. 

"Okay, you gotta admit, that was funny," he said.

"Why would you put on such a huge show just to say that?"

"That's kind of the punchline, dummy," he responded, flicking my forehead. "God, imagine having to explain a joke. You're quite the dumbass."

"You're just not funny," I lied, rolling my eyes at him and turning around to take my shirt off so I could change into something more casual than my scrubs. 

"Oh? You're giving me a strip-show?" Alex teased. "Say less."

"He literally just said you're not funny," Ethan interrupted.

Alex let out a gasp in response, "How dare you?" 

"Say something funny then."

"Alright then," he began, clearing his throat to set the mood. "Once upon a time, two people were expecting a lovely human baby by August at the latest. However, when the lady went into labour and gave birth, they found out that instead of a human being, she had given birth to a baboon instead. Because this was such a rare occasion, they decided to name him something special."

"What did they name him?" Dustin pressed.

"Amos Singh."