17 | Pick A Side

Chapter 17 : Pick A Side

The next morning I woke up 15 minutes before it was time for me to leave for work. I'd slept terrible. I stayed up thinking about what had happened with me and Jada. I was genuinely scared of losing her and having any other problems with our other friends.

After taking Nala out and grabbing a small breakfast I threw on a pair of solid burgundy scrubs, matching white and burgundy new balance sneakers and headed out the door. I got into my car and sped to work, I was already 15 minutes late.

When I arrived at work I jumped right in calling back patients that were waiting in the lobby.

"Mr.Morris," I called out, reading the chart.

An older black man approached me walking through the door.

"I'm Faith I'm going to be your medical assistant today can I ask you to confirm your date of birth?," I asked.

He confirmed and I guided him to a treatment room.

After a few hours of chaos I finally was able to get a break. I stepped into the break room and pulled out my phone.

I had a missed text message from Ashley from last night, that read

"Me & Natalie just finished talking to Jada, she was frantic. We need to meet up tomorrow when you're off work."

I gulped and began to bite at my lips, I had forgotten all about getting to them first.

When I got home from work I invited the girls over, it was best to put everything on the table and handle it as soon as possible. I'd told Omar when they left that I would come over to his apartment and have dinner with him, he mentioned that we wanted to cook for me so I accepted his invitation.

Knock Knock

I opened the door and there stood Ashley and Natalie, without Jada. They made their way in and sat down at my dining table, both looking a bit upset. 

"So where do we even start?," asked Ashley, while twisting her watch.

"Let's start at why we're just now hearing that you and Jada kissed," Natalie blurted out, "I didn't even know you were into girls."

"That's the thing I didn't even know I was into girls, but when she kissed me it just felt right at the time. I made up my mind that after it happened it couldn't go any further than that," I explained, trying to read their reactions.

Ashley seemed mellow but Natalie on the other hand seemed pissed.

"Did you consider how she felt though?," Natalie asked.

"Of course I did Natalie," I barked, feeling suddenly defensive.

I had always taken my friends into consideration with everything I did, especially when it came to something that would effect our friendship.

"I think this is all just petty. I love you both but there's no reason for you guys to be fighting over a kiss that happened years ago," Ashley alluded.

"It's deeper than that Ash. I love them both too but you can't play with someone's feelings and expect no consequences," Natalie replied.