Chapter 9

The Saturday morning sun cast its blinding light over Fairwood. Everyone in town is expecting the days to be well into the high nineties, but the Carmichael's still had plans. Sydney put on a white t-shirt and black sports shorts. She had no intention of going in the pool, but her parents had already taken that liberty. She set her portable speaker on the ground next to the lawn chairs and played a beach playlist she had already assembled. Her father took a break from splashing water in his wife's face and turned his attention towards Sydney.

     "Hey, when is Keisha getting here?" He asked. "It definitely won't be getting colder anytime soon."

     "She'll be here any second." She replied as she sat down in a chair. Cocking her head back, she closed her eyes and let the heat of the sun cover her. This is one of her favorite past times: doing nothing. Even though music was playing, she now entered her own little world inside her head, free to get lost in her own thoughts.

      Only a few minutes had passed, however, for a familiar sound drew everyone's attention. The gate to the backyard had opened and a lighthearted but loud yell came through like PA system.

     "Hi, y'all!" Keisha said as she slammed the gate closed. Her black dress with white polka dots made it clear she also did not want to hop in the pool, but join her best friend in a chill session. Sydney's mother was the first to greet her.

     "Hi, Keisha. If you are thirsty, we have some lemonade over there by the table." She said while pointing to the folded out table that stood poolside.

     "Grab me a glass too." Sydney added without opening her eyes. Keisha walked over to the table and the pitcher. It was clear so she could see the sliced lemons inside. It was definitely homemade. She poured some into two cups and carried them over to where Sydney was sitting. She placed one in her hand and grabbed a chair to sit right next to her. Her father swam over to the steps inside the pool and sat down with his legs still inside the water.

     "So, how has school been so far?" He asked. That question was for the both of them, but he only looked at Keisha.

     "It's been fine so far. All my teachers seem really cool. Plus, I have an interview at Sally's Shoes over at the mall after tomorrow. Hopefully, I get the job because I can really use the money."

     "That's great. You've been keeping Sydney company at school?"

     "Yeah, but she's also made a new friend. He seems nice."

     Sydney finally opened her eyes and whipped her head towards Keisha so fast that she popped her neck. Her friend, puzzled by her annoyed look on her face, could only let out a "What?" Her mother stayed silent, seeing that her husband was about to stand up. He put both his hands on his hips like an irritated mother wishing to speak to the store manager.

     "Is that so?" He said, staring at Sydney.

     "Look, I know what you are going to say. Derek is just a friend. I met him on my first day." Sydney's response was quick, and she was only getting irritated by the second.

     "Right, Sydney. That's how it starts. Don't you remember what happened at your old school?"

       Jen decided to step in. This Saturday was supposed to be about having fun and relaxation, not reliving terrible memories in front of a guest. "Hey, now really isn't the time for this. Can we talk about this later?"

     "I'm sorry for bringing it up, Mr. Carmichael. It was a mistake." Keisha responded. Donald didn't even acknowledge her apology. To him, this was now an interrogation. He and her daughter were now locked in a room, alone, with Keisha and Jen having to stare from the outside looking in. Sydney decided to make the detective's job a living hell.

     "I'm so sorry your daughter is such an outgoing person. I just seem to attract people who want to be around me. It must be in my genes, but I definitely know I didn't get it from you. Why can't you just be happy that I'm meeting new people? I'm not some sheltered child who hasn't been outside in months. You really need to cool it with all this nonsense."

      A vein suddenly appeared on Donald's forehead, a rare sight indeed. He was angry, there was no doubt about it, but there was an absence of words from him. His mouth was slightly open, in awe of his daughter's damaging words. He looked back at his wife who was just floating in the pool, speechless. Keisha read the room and quickly discovered how to handle the situation.

      "So, I think I should go." Keisha said as she got up from her chair. "Thank you for the lemonade. I'll take another cup to go."

     "Thanks for stopping by, Keisha. You have a good day now." Jen tried her best to salvage what remained, but no dice. They all watched her leave and close the gate shut. Sydney immediately got up and went inside the house, as her father was still standing in place. Jen exited the pool and stood beside her husband. "Well, you really messed up this time, mister. Let me know how it goes." She grabbed a towel, wrapped  herself in it, and entered the house.

     Louis was now alone in the backyard, with nothing but the sounds of birds chirping and a light breeze to keep him company. He felt he didn't deserve to go back into his own house, putting invisible chains on the sliding door that led into the kitchen. Solitude in the sweltering heat felt like an apt punishment for his actions, and he accepted it willingly.