You Still Look Beautiful

Riley

I was so nervous. My heart bumped in my chest so hard, I thought it would burst out of my chest.

It wasn't easy for me to be here, in front of the Mitchell's family farm. I haven't been to their farm in so long. Lorraine still had this place looking so beautiful. It almost seemed as if time had stood still in this place. The same beautiful flowers and roses in her garden. The raised beds with her mint, bay leaves, and all kinds of herbs. She had her sunflowers growing and tomatoes looked so delicious.

I had always been envious of her green thumb. Everything she touched grew beautifully. Her granddaughter Emily had the same gift. They were both amazing gardeners.

I sat in my car, doubting if I should go through this

I sat in my car, doubting if I should go through this. Saturday afternoon, I should be preparing my house for my husband to come home. Instead, he's in bed with another woman. I tried calling him this morning. I wanted to hear him say it was a prank or a mistake.

Instead, the woman answered the phone. I used my sister's number to call him in case my ID came out. I acted as if I was a friend and asked her who I was speaking with. My heart sank when she told me her name, and verified she was dating him. She's been seeing my husband and sleeping with him for the past 5 months.

I wanted to shout at her, give her a piece of my mind and curse her in all possible ways. But I held my tongue. He will have his freedom soon. But rest assured he will pay for it.

I sighed and closed my eyes, resting my head on the back of my seat. I eased my mind, trying to clear my head of all the anger and frustration I was feeling. A part of me wanted to cry and run to a place no one would ever find me, and the other wanted to call him and tell him what was on my mind.

I'm no coward, my kids are my world, and they deserve to see me with my head held high in the air.

A sudden tap on my window startled me. I opened my eyes to see a young man by my window. "Hi, Mrs. Spencer. Long time no see. How are you? Would you like to come in?" I didn't recognize him until he began to speak.

I rolled my window down and smiled, hiding the mixture of emotions eating me up. "Hi, Aiden. Oh god, look at you? You've grown into such a good-looking man. How are you, sweety?" He smiled, placing his hands inside his pockets and lowering his head.

"I'm good Mrs. Spencer. And thank you for the compliment. You look very beautiful yourself. Uncle Derreck is inside if you'd like to come in." He smiled shrugging his shoulder.

Derreck was a good friend of mine. He helped me so much the first few years I was here, along with Jake and Brianna Mitchell. I don't think my life would have been any better if I didn't have them as friends.

Jake and Derreck were not just admirable men, but they had been great mentors to Logan. They were always there for him when my husband failed to.

"Umm, yes. I'd love to come in and say hi." I opened my door and got out of my car. I hugged Aiden and smiled at him. "It's so good to see you Aiden. How is school going?" Aiden was away in New York with his uncle studying law. He wanted to be a lawyer just like his uncle Derreck.