35 | Innocent Smile

TW: sensitive topics ahead

Regarding chapter 32, "Personification of Sin" I have received some comments that have been been very upsetting to read. Some comments are saying that Catalina sexually assaulted Lorenzo.

I've suffered years of sexual abuse and as a survivor of that, I would never ever have one of my characters do something as terrible as such. Catalina could never do that to Lorenzo:( Lorenzo is much stronger than her, If he hadn't wanted her to give him head then he would have immediately stopped the situation. This is simply the dynamic of their relationship & he enjoys toying around with Catalina during sexual instances. I hope you all can understand that this is just the way their relationship is and I apologize.

C A T A L I N A

I'm sitting in front of a therapist.

She has pretty hair.

She's also asking me a lot of questions but I think that's her job.

Her name is Dr Josephine. Pretty like her.

"We're going to move at your pace, it's okay," her soft voice spoke.

I give her a smile and nod, appreciating her kindness. "Sometimes- sometimes I'm afraid he'll leave me— Lorenzo."

She nods and I continue at her encouraging action.

"Well- it's just that um- I cant stop my mean thoughts so they spiral a lot. I cant let go of him while we're sleeping because I'm scared he's going to get up one day and... leave."

"Do you think this fear stems from past experiences where someone important to you may have left?"

I gulp. "Maybe."

"Problems involving fear of abandonment usually stem from childhood experiences. We can work through this by understanding where these feelings come from, first."

"So I have abandonment issues?" Is Lorenzo going to abandon me? That doesn't sound pretty.

"It's a form of anxiety. You are having difficulty with managing your overthinking and that's completely okay. We can acknowledge these thoughts and notice how they don't define you or your relationship. Then we can find the root cause— where do these feelings come from?"

My lips set into a frown as I sit quietly for a couple of moments before attempting to answer Dr Josephine's question, "My mom and brother left me when I was a kid," I hesitate before continuing, "Well, my mom didn't leave she- she just couldn't stay with me anymore."