Chapter Fifteen: Painting Shame

During the last week of July, about three days after her painting had been created, Erin invited Zoey over for a sleepover, though this time, they would have the house to themselves.

Mark was out doing his normal night shift and Carol was working late at her office.

This was the first time that the two would be completely alone in the house, which made Erin both nervous and excited.

Erin was cleaning up her room early that Friday morning, when Carol entered the room.
She quickly shut her closet door and looked to her mother.

The painting of the girl who looked a little too much like Zoey had been shoved into the closet. Erin was ashamed of it.

She felt almost guilty for what she painted. She had painted her thoughts, which were of Zoey.

She had essentially painted Zoey naked. That was what she was ashamed of.
Her subconscious mind had made her paint a picture of her best friend naked.

"Are you hiding something, Erin?" Carol questioned.
"No." Erin answered quickly. She cleared her throat and took a quick breath. "No. I'm not hiding anything. You just startled me."

Carol nodded her head slightly.
"Alright, then. I'm leaving you twenty dollars for pizza since we don't have much food, I'll be sure to stop by the grocery store on my way home. I'll be home at around nine, don't do anything crazy with that friend of yours, okay?" She said, pulling a twenty dollar bill out of her purse and handing it to Erin.

"Okay, Mom. Don't worry, we'll be good." Erin smiled, putting the money into the pocket of her shorts.
Carol kissed Erin goodbye then walked out the door.

Erin finished tidying up her room a little while later.
She hung around the house until two o' clock, when Zoey knocked on the door.