The Ball: part 1

Y/N's POV
It was times like these that reminded me that I married into the royal family. I left Ursa in the hallway to make her grand entrance before making my way into the ballroom to find Iroh.

He pulled my hand up to his lips, "Have I told you how beautiful you look, my love?" Before gently kissing my knuckles.

I smiled, "you're not looking too bad yourself."

He smiled before holding out his arm for me to link onto whilst we made our way over to the Fire Lord and her husband, bowing.

"Mother, Father."

"Fire Lord Izumi, Sir."

They smiled at us, before my mother-in-law turned to me, "thank you again for taking the time to return for this. It means the world to Ursa."

"And now, Princess Ursa of the Fire Nation."

We all turned to watch Ursa's grand entrance, she walked through the doors, all eyes on her and awkwardly bowed before making her way over to the four of us.

"Now what?"

Fire Lord Izumi quickly responded, "now you wait for them to approach you. Be polite- Iroh, Y/N, if you could make some conversation with some of our guests, that'd be great."

We nodded and I followed Iroh to meet with some of the noblemen.

"Ah, Prince Iroh! Princess Y/N! It has been far too long!"

Iroh and I never use our royal titles, and hearing someone call me by mine was weird.

Iroh responded, "forgive us, we've been in the United Republic training the troops. Commander Y/N here was just promoted."

"Oh? Congratulations, indeed!"

I smiled, "thank you kindly, sir."

I turned to scan the room for Ursa, she'd been approached by a young man, but screwed her face up at him, disgusted.

I felt myself chuckle as he walked away from her, dejectedly, earning herself a scolding from the Fire Lord.

Oh, Ursa.

Eventually, she began speaking to some of the young men, and actually agreed to dance with one of them. Though, when she passed us as she twirled around the dance floor, she mouthed, 'help me.'

I held in my laugh as I just shrugged at her, mouthing back, 'sorry!'

"General Iroh, Lieutenant Y/N."

I knew that voice, it was one of the elders.

I held in my sigh as I turned, forcing a smile, "actually, it's Commander Y/N now."

"Is that so?"

Iroh replied, "yes, it is. Can we help you?"

"I was merely wondering what was going on? As the first child of the Fire Lord, you should be prioritising producing an heir, yet still, there is none."

Iroh bluntly asked, "and your point is?"

"This is disgraceful! What will become of our nation if Princess Ursa doesn't marry and you both produce no heir? Then what?"

I sighed, "sir, there's no need to worry so much at the moment. The Fire Lord is not stepping down any time soon, Ursa is still young, and General Iroh and I are working hard in the United Republic."

"But Lieutenant-"

Iroh firmly corrected him, "Commander."

"Right, uh- Commander Y/N, this is something that the two of you need to take into account."

Before I could respond, Iroh let go of my arm before holding out his hand to me, "if you'll excuse us, I believe Commander Y/N here has yet to dance with me tonight."

I took his hand and turned back to the elder, "perhaps we could speak of this on another occasion, enjoy the ball!"

Iroh placed his hand over my waist as I placed mine on his shoulder, and he pulled my other hand into his as we twirled around the room, "just ignore him, Y/N."

I nodded, scanning the room for Ursa, "poor Ursa has to deal with him all the time; and honestly, I doubt she'll show much interest to any of the young men here."

He nodded, dipping me down as we danced, "he's insufferable. I'll speak to my grandfather about it, see if he can get them off her back."

As we danced, I kept my eyes locked to his; gleaming amber layered in gold metallics, they were truly mesmerising.

"Y/N... are you-"

I sighed, "no, I'm not pregnant, Iroh."

"Oh."

"Sorry."

He quickly shook his head, pulling my waist in closer, "what are you even apologising for? I was only wondering."

As the dance came to an end, Iroh led me over to the food and the two of us shared some of the bite-sized snacks that were laid out on the buffet tables.

"That's her, the prince's wife."

"Have you heard? She's refusing to bare children because she wants to be a soldier."

"Disgraceful."

"She's a water bender, no good for producing an heir fit to rule the Fire Nation."

"Just some low life peasant girl."

I clenched my jaw, trying to keep myself calm as I listened to the snobby women in the corner gossip about me.

Iroh quickly caught on and placed a quick kiss on my cheek before glaring over at them, "you'll do well to mind your to-"

Before he could finish, Ursa had already interrupted, "leave."

Their faces had all flushed as one of them spluttered, "Princess Ursa! I'm sorry, princess, I really am, I didn't mean-"

Ursa narrowed her eyes, "did I not speak clearly enough? Or should I have one of the guards drag you out? Leave."

Immediately, they scurried towards the door, shocked and flustered.

Iroh held back his chuckles as his sister approached us, "wasn't that a little harsh, kid?"

She didn't seem amused at all, "absolutely not. How dare they speak like that about a member of the royal family, Y/N, I'm so sorry."

I flicked my eyebrows up, "wow, Ursa, you're sounding like a future world leader in the making. Thanks."

She nodded before sighing, leaning her elbow on my shoulder, "I don't think I can entertain these guys anymore, they're so boring."

I glanced over at a few of the guys she was referring to before chuckling, "I'll bet."

A mischievous grin spread across her face, "hey, how about we make tonight a little more fun?"