Velvet Box

Amara

I hadn't seen him that soft and vulnerable in a while. He was usually so confident and sure of himself and now he was acting like the total opposite. The last time I'd seen him that way was before he even left when I was little.

I didn't mind though. I didn't mind at all. I loved seeing any part of him. Even kissing me right now, his movements were so soft and gentle.

"I love you" He mumbled against my neck which gave me tingles and I felt his lips stretch into a smile as he realized what impact he had on me.

"I love you too" I said a little breathless from all the attention I was getting from him. I tried to settle and get comfortable on his lap, but my movements were a little too sudden which made him suck in a breath and gripped my waist a little too harsh.

"Sorry" He murmured with a shy smile as his thumbs stroked the spot on my waist.

His lips glided from my neck up to my jaw, then my cheek and lastly my lips. His hands wandered down to my waist and he hesitantly slid his hands up my T-shirt.

"Can I?" He asked. The question alone made my whole body heat up. He had done that before, but he always made sure to ask. I appreciated that. It made me feel safe and comfortable.

"Of course you can" I said giving him a weak smile.

He nodded as his hands ran over my thighs and his lips sucked on my neck. I tried to not make any noise, but failed. However that only seemed to encourage him more since he gripped the back of my thighs and lowered me onto the couch not putting all of his weight on me.

He lifted my T-shirt and kissed my belly making me let out a giggle, he smiled and started kissing till he reached my bra and then looked up at me silently asking for my permission. I nodded and he snakes his hand around my back and unclasped my bra as his other hand stroked my inner thigh.

"Is this okay?" He asked, his lips brushing over my chest as his hand moved between my thighs and I bit my bottom lip to not make any sound.

I couldn't find the strength to speak up so his face was in front of mine and stared at me, his hand staying where it was,"I asked you something" He said gently with a hint of dominance. All I could do was pant and nod, but that wasn't enough reassurance for him, "Talk to me"

"Yes" Was all I could say.

"I want tonight to be all about you" He whispered and kissed down my body again.

And it was all about me, I wanted to do things for him too, but he kept saying he wanted to make me feel good. He didn't do anything but touch me and kiss me but that was enough. Everything he did, he did it perfectly. That's how I saw it, at least.

When he was done he wrapped his arms around me and cuddled me.

"We should go take a shower" I said after I regained my strength.

"Wait, I-I want to tell you something" He said and sat up.

"What is it?" I asked getting a bit worried and sat up too.

"I didn't want to rush into it. I wanted to plan things out and do something special but-" He trailed off and looked at me, "Every moment with you is special so it doesn't really matter"

I had no idea what he was talking about but I was really curious to find out and I felt my stomach turn from anxiety.

"Ryder, tell me" I said putting my hand on his back.

"I-I really don't know how to say this" He said shaking his head. He looked really nervous. So nervous that it was making me feel like that too, "Actually, let's just take a shower and I'll tell you some other time"

"Oh no you're telling me now"

He couldn't just mention it, get me super anxious and then drop the subject.

"No, you deserve better" He sighed and raked his fingers through his hair.

"Ryder, you started it, now finish it" I said getting annoyed.

I hated when he did that. He used to do it when we were kids too and I hated knowing that he's keeping secrets from me.

"Amara, please-"

"No" I said firmly and crossed my arms.

He sighed and leaned back on the couch, "Come here" He said stretching out his arms.

I hesitated at first, but ended up going into his arms rolling my eyes. He was just so cuddly and he gave the best hugs.

"Remember, that same year I left, a few months before, we were watching a romantic movie and the guy proposed to the girl in public and you got embarrassed saying-"

"I would never want anyone to propose to me in public. That's what I said" I said quickly. I remembered each and every moment with him, but I wanted him to just tell me what was on his mind already.

"And you said you wanted it to be just the two of you and unexpected?"

"Yes?" I said and raised an eyebrow.

Where is he going with this.

"I love that movie. That's all" He said.

I slapped his chest lightl and he chuckled, "Okay, I'm kidding!" He said reading for his pocket.

And just like that with no warning he got on one knee and took out a small, dark blue, velvet box.

Well maybe he did warn me with all that talk and I'm just too oblivious, but that's besides the point.

"Well, I hope this is what you were talking about" He said with a gorgeous bright smile and opened the small case to reveal a beautiful shiny ring, "I really wasn't planning to do this so soon, I guess I just got overwhelmed and I couldn't hold back my emotions, but I would definitely do it sooner or later-"

"Ryder-"

"Let me finish my dramatic speech please" He said rolling his eyes, "When we were little I always saw you as my best friend or my little sister, I had no romantic feelings for you, yet I could never see any other woman being as close to me as you were. Every second away from you was torture, it was eating me up. I never want to feel like this again, I never want to feel like I'm useless, like I can't be there for you"

When I was a kid, I never thought anyone would ever get on one knee for me. I thought it only happened in movies or in fairytales and books, but this man was here to prove me wrong. My inner bookworm was screaming right now.

"But it's up to you. Will you marry me?"

No wasn't even an option.

"Of course!" I exclaimed in excitement and hugged him.

"Let me put the ring on your finger first" He said, his tone really impatient as his leg moved up and down possibly from anxiety.

I pulled back with a smile and hie carefully slipped the ring onto my finger before kissing it.

"I can't believe this is real" He breathed out. He voice was shaky and he still looked anxious.

"Well you should believe it, because it's very real" I said and stroked his shoulders to get him to relax a bit,"I love you"

He smiled and pulled me in to kiss my lips, "I love you"