22: I need them

"Ms. Rowan, can you tell us the answer to number twelve?"

I looked up from my daze and noticed the whole class was staring at me. I fidgeted with my paper before clearing my throat.

" The Election of 1800" I answered

"Correct"

I sighed from relief since I wasn't paying an ounce of attention. My mind kept going back to what happened after Luca left Saturday.

*

"Skylar! We sent you to that school to get an education. Not to get a boyfriend" My dad yelled at me.

My face reddened in anger, I clenched my fist and took a deep breath. I don't understand why he didn't get it. Mom certainly didn't have a problem.

"I already told you, he's not my boyfriend. He's not even a friend" I calmly explained.

This argument had been going on for the past few minutes.

"He is my friend's brother. He was being nice and offered to take me home, mom welcomed him inside."

My dad shook his head at me. I slowly sat down in the kitchen chair, preparing myself for a lecture. I knew if I tried to explain further I would be accused of having an "attitude".

"I don't understand why you would associate yourself with a boy who BROKE YOUR FOOT"

I restrained myself from rolling my eyes. I looked at my mom for help but she seemed confused at dad's reaction as well.

"Michael," she said, walking over and placing a hand on his shoulder " we all know it was an accident. Besides, we should be happy that Skylar has made friends. That school is tough, academically and socially, don't make her get rid of a group of people who can help her make it through"

"Dad, if my grades drop or they become a bad influence, I will stay away, but they've been nothing but nice and welcoming to me."

I hoped that would drop the conversation.

"Aren't they brats?" He asked

I let out a laugh and shook my head no.

"No, at least they are not compared to the rest of the school. Sure they drive $100,000 cars and wear thousand-dollar clothes but when talking to them, you would never know. Even with all their riches, they are down-to-earth, genuine people dad."

Excluding Thomas, he's kind of a jerk.

My dad and I held eye contact for a little while. Both of us to stubborn to look away from each other.

"You know just as well as I do dad that I'm going to need a support group at that school. I need them"

"Whatever" he mumbled and walked out of the kitchen.

I turned towards mom and held my hands out in frustration. Dad had never acted like this before, he was always encouraging me to branch out and be with teenagers more often.

"I don't know Skylar," she said pursing her lips and walking in the direction that dad left.

*

"Finish reading the document tonight. Write down five questions you have about it. I will see you tomorrow" the teacher yelled as we walked out of the door.

The days at MBPA have gotten much easier. While people still stared at me as I walked down the halls, it wasn't nearly as bad as it used to be. Some would even come to help me with my books since my crutches were still in the way.