In the Ring: Chapter Five

Idara shifted in her seat next to Dolf, fidgeting with her hands and slowly moving away from him. He never actively noticed, but his situational awareness was top notch, and his hands always unconsciously moved over to hold her close. Ulan sat nearby, emanating frigid fury.

"Idara!" Dolf said tipsily. "Tell them about your recent fight, they think I'm playing them!"

"It was nothing," Idara said dismissively. "She was an easy win."

"So used to fighting the men she can't even break a sweat against the women!" Dolf said proudly to the other patrons at their table. Idara furrowed her brow and huffed.

"Women can fight just as well, evidence before you," she said proudly.

"Please, the only woman I've met who can really fight is you, and you only half count," Dolf said with a wave of his hand. Ulan huffed across the table. "Come now, you know it's true!"

"I think this is ridiculous," Idara said, displaying her displeasure. She went to stand and walk away from the table.

"Now now," Dolf said, grabbing Idara's rear and pulling. "We're just making conversation!"

"The same sort of conversation as always, I would add," Idara said, removing his hand from her. "I'm bored of it."

"Bored of it?" Dolf asked, voice darkening.

"Yeah, I am," Idara said. "I'm tired of you disrespecting me, constantly. I've beaten every man I've fought, I thought that would earn me some respect!"

"And it has!"

"Don't lie," Ulan warned, letting a hint of flame show in his jaw. The other patrons' eyes widened at the realization of the tension.

"Please, dragon, stay out of business that isn't yours," Dolf said in an ominous tone.

"How about you let my best friend speak? He respects my issues and life," Idara said.

"My GOD, you are just being ridiculous tonight, Galactica" Dolf said. He narrowed his eyes and smiled at Idara. "I think the usual cure should help you set your mind straight."

"No."

"What?"

"I said no," Idara said, stepping away from the table. "I think this night is done."

"It's done when I say it's done," Dolf said angrily, standing up. Ulan stood across the table.

"No! I'm leaving, I can't stand when you-"

Idara was cut off by a hand slapping across her face and the sound of everyone around the tabe gasping. She stood her ground, only her head moving with the slap, and looked in disbelief at her former lover.

"Sometimes, the lady needs to be put in her pla-"

This time, Dolf was the one cut off, but by a stream of flames contacting the hand he used to slap Idara and an angry dragon rushing across the table and pinning him against the wall. Dolf recovered his wits and looked up to shout, but only found the fiery throat of a dragon before his face.

"Ulan!"

The flames dissipated from the dragon's maw and he stepped back, releasing his grip on the champion fighter and letting him fall to the ground to nurse his burned hand. Dolf beheld the angry duo before him, a dragon with intent to kill and his girlfriend clenching her fists hard enough to shake her entire body.

"I thought you loved me for so long." Her voice cracked as she spoke and she didn't continue. Instead, she turned around and walked. "Let's go, Ulan."