Chapter Eight

Melaine

I let go of my fire and sank to the ground again taking in deep breathes. I still couldn't do it. I was still pulling us back.

"You're thinking too much." Kenji sighed helping me up.

"I need to get to Luc's level. I'm the reason we're behind schedule." I groaned getting into position again.

"Remember what I told you? The thing about Soulmates, Kindred spirits and Twin spirits?"

"Now isn't the time Ken." I sighed standing properly now.

"It actually is. Remember what I said. You need balance. And for that you need all three. You've died twice and we know with each death comes more power. The power is already there. You're already at Luc's level. You just don't have your balance yet. You lost your soulmate so you're a little off balance. That's why you haven't been able to connect to the cosmos or go full phoenix. Luc can't do it until you can."

"So we'll never achieve that power because of me."

"You will." He says.

"My soul mate's gone Ken. No soulmate, no balance, no balance, no cosmic connection." I groaned waving my arms in the air.

"The thing about Soulmates is only shifters and vampires have one set in stone mate. They only ever get one and they always know who it is. That's why they go crazy or die when their mates die or reject them. Humans, witches, myths and all the other supernatural creatures don't have just one soul mate."

"Myths?"

"Dragons, Kitsune, Sirens, Phoenix, Chupacabras, Hounds, Nemean. Shifters that are born and never made. The rare and powerful ones. Lucian and Marina are chosen mates. They have the soulmate bond and picked each other and sealed it by marking each other. We don't have set in stone mates."

"But I had Xander. He was my soulmate."

"You may have been Xander's set in stone mate but he was never yours. You're the only person he had a soulmate bond with but you can have that bond with someone else."

"I'm not replacing him." I whisper.

"You don't have too. A soulmate bond is not always romantic unless you want it to be. The love is there and unavoidable but it can be platonic."

Something behind me caught his eyes and I watched a spark of mischief go through them. I turned around and watched Titus make his way towards us his usual frown in place.

"Look who snuck out of his room again. What are you?" Kenji asked watching him. "I can usually tell. And you're in dire need of a nickname."

"Kenji likes to give nicknames according to what we are." I explained noticing his confused expression.

"Well in case you forgot I'm human." Titus said.

"I'll figure it out. You're hiding it well." Ken said ignoring his statement.

"Sure. Can I talk to you alone for a second." He asked looking at me.

"If you promise to multi task and spar with her I promise to leave you alone. She needs to practise daily. And I think after the other night you could use some lessons too. Take it easy on him Mel."

"I'll try." I chuckled.

We both watched him walk out of the training room and faced each other. I picked made my staff appear and pointed to the weapons wall.

"Pick a staff and let's get started." I said slipping my shoes off.

"Mel?" He said walking to the wall and slipping off his shirt. "You don't look like a Mel."