Prologue

November 1995

The haunting sounds of malevolent winds and rain could be heard throughout the forest. The thunderstorm had been going on for hours with such calamity those caught in it would surely not soon forget it.

The wind was so unnaturally strong that made the shutters and the doors tremble and slam against the exterior walls. The wind was an icy cold, like it had been blown inland from the North Pole. When Theodore peaked outside his window, the clouds were a menacing grey that enveloped the sun’s warm, resplendent rays. The trees shouted profanities as the gust of wind whipped through them and violently shook their branches. He took note that all cats, mice, lizards, birds and dogs were no longer, skittering across the backyard and street but burrowing into every nook and cranny, an expectant look on their faces.

Within the walls of his home another scream was heard throughout the house. He glanced worriedly towards the stairs. His wife had been in labour for hours. Of he thought about it she had been in labour for as long as the storm had been raining it's havoc. He looked out the window again just in time to see a portal open at the end of his driveway. Two figures stepping out. He let out a sigh of relief. Rushing towards the front door he opened it just in time for them to step in.

"I was starting to think you wouldn't come." He said the first cloaked figure. It took off its hooded cloak to reveal a beautiful face he was familiar with. She smiled at him as he wrapped her in a hug. Wild curls seeming unaffected by the rain and wind. He knew it was only because of the magic she possessed.

"We needed to collect a few things first. Theo this is Dardanos." She introduced her best friend to the man she had arrived with. He smiled warmly at her before turning his attention to Theodore.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." Dardanos said.

"You're a demon." Theo said standing straighter. A protective arm wrapping around his friend and placing her behind him.

"I'm not going to harm you. I'm here to help."

"You wanted to completely burry your son's abilities. My magic only lasts years. His last forever." She said placing a comforting arm on his back. "Trust me."

"She's upstairs." He said simply. Dardanos nodded his head before turning and making his way where he was needed.

"A demon Behati? Where did you find him? And since when do you associate with them?" Theodore asked once the creature in question was out of ear shot.

"Dardanos isn't like the others. I wouldn't have brought him here if he was a threat. I trust him." She said. He looked at her for a second before an emotion hit him. It wasn't his. It was coming from her.

"You're in love with him." He said quietly.

"You say that like it's a bad thing." She sighed.

"I don't trust him."

"Well I do. We have the bond. I don't think I'd be bonded to a psychopath." She says rolling her eyes.

"You could. That's why we choose mates. We don't decide who we're bonded to but we decide whether or not we'll keep them as a mate."

"Well I chose him. The same way you chose Rose." She hated the way her voice had sounded when she said Rose's name. She was supposed to be over it.

Theodore ignored the ounce of regret that struck him and sighed. They had the soulmate bond. They had loved each other with every part of their beings. But he had chosen Rose. A misunderstanding had led to their falling out. He had taken Rose, another he shared the soulmate bond with, and her arrival at his lowest as a sign and he chose her. He married her. They found out too late that they could have been together.

Neither of them could get rid of the love they shared. So they swallowed the pain and longing and stayed friends. They hadn't broken the bond they had formed already. He could still feel her emotions the way she could feel his. he could read her thoughts if she let him. They played pretend for years. And now she was choosing someone else. A demon.

"As long as he'll be able to seal off my son's Nemean side. Our kind are being hunted as it is. We're rare. It's the only way I can protect him. Make him human."

"He'll do it. Noone will be able to break Dardanos' spell. He'll be fine." She smiled holding his face in her hands.

He closed his eyes leaning into her touch. He loved Rose. But his heart had always belonged to Behati. And hers belonged to him. There was no changing that.

"Look at you. You're a dad now." She chuckled. He opened his eyes and gazed into hers.

"Before you know it you'll be a mom too."

"Maybe our kids will make better choices than we did." She smiles sadly letting go of him.

"We'll be there to guide them. Teach them from experience."

"Yeah we will."
....................

Kisses and gumdrops and rainbows.