chapter forty-seven

Evie is sat at the table in the motel eating a bowl of cereal. Her hair is still a mess from sleeping and she's in her pajamas. Dean is still asleep while Sam is in the bathroom.

Dean wakes up, spotting Evie eating. He looks over to Sam's bed and sees it's empty before hearing Sam's voice come from the bathroom and he realizes he's on the phone.

"Yeah, that's what I'm telling you. No storms, no bad crops, nothing. Yeah, okay. We'll keep looking. You keep looking too, okay? All right. Talk soon." Sam hangs up and Dean pretends to be asleep.

Sam walks out with his bathroom bag and sees Evie still eating. He looks at Dean and hits his leg with his bathroom bag.

"Hey. Up and at 'em, kiddo." Sam tells his brother who pretends to wake up.

"You're up early. What are you doing?" Dean asks, sitting up.

"Nothing. I was in the can." Sam says.

"Yeah?" Dean asks.

"Yeah. You want me to draw you a picture?"

"Nah, I'll pass."

"Found a job. Bedford, Iowa. Guy beat his wife's brains out with a meat tenderizer."

"Yikes."

"And get this. Third local inside two months to gank his wife. No priors on any of 'em, all happily married."

"Ahh. Sounds like Ozzie and Harriet."

"More like The Shining."

+++

Sam walks into the motel and turns the light on, seeing Evie asleep in one of the beds. He gets his phone out, calling Dean.

"Sam! Where the hell have you been?" Dean asks.

"With Cara." Sam answers, sitting on the bed opposite of Evie.

"Oh, it's Cara now? And you're not picking up your phone?" Dean asks.

"We were trying to find the blood samples-- someone stole 'em." Sam says.

"Yeah, I bet." Dean says.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nick found flower petals at the crime scenes. Hyacinths."

"So?"

"Hyacinths? Mediterranean. From the island where the whole friggin' siren myth started in the first place."

"Okay."

"Sam, Cara had hyacinth flowers!"

"You think Cara's the siren?"

"Well, I did a little checking up on her. She's only been in town for 2 months."

"Yeah, and?"

"And she has an ex-husband. A dead ex-husband, Carl Roberts. Dropped like a stone, no warning. Supposedly a heart attack."