Oh My

** Lia's POV **

I panted as I ran through the woods as fast as I could, dodging low hanging branches and leaping over fallen trees with ease. Periodically I stopped for a moment to sniff the air to make sure I was on the right trail. Al and Frankie would catch up to me in those moments, only to be left behind again in my haste to find my mate.

If those damn hunters catch her... I thought as I raced to find Dakota.

My dear Alpha, I want you to know Dakota is with me. Strega Tali's voice proclaimed in my head. I almost forgot to tell you. I hope I didn't cause you too much trouble.

I stopped in my tracks and huffed in frustration. It's alright Strega, it's no trouble at all. Thank you for telling me. I responded as calmly as possible. My frustration was very apparent in my adrenaline filled body as my hackles were still raised from my neck to the base of my tail. However, Strega Tali never meant any harm, and the simple acknowledgement that Dakota was in fact safe, helped to ease me.

Slowly my stance relaxed and as Al and Frankie caught up, I shifted back into my human form. "Dakota is with Strega Tali." I stated as I stood up.

Thank the Goddess. Al responded as she and Frankie shifted into their human forms as well. "I don't know what I would have done if our Luna had been taken." Al looked to Frankie with sad and frightened eyes. "By the way, who was it that was taken? In all this excitement, I forgot to ask."

"I don't know yet." Frankie answered as they eyed me, "Chief, I really don't know how we are going to fight them. Our best hunters can only track them to local bodies of water and then -poof!- they're gone!"

"We'll find them Frankie. We have to be missing something." I looked to the darkening sky. "No one can operate without leaving some kind of trail." I turned back to Frankie and placed a reassuring hand on their shoulder. "We'll find the clue we so desperately need. I promise. We'll get them all back."

Frankie replied with a tiny smile of agreement. Thankfully Al's voice filled the air before the feelings of fear and desperation could, and said, "I suppose we should head to Tali's then to pick up your girl."

"I suppose so," I agreed and we all began our journey to the witch's hut. "Maybe you should get her though Frankie." I said after a few moments. The memory of her being embarrassed and afraid enough to run away replayed in my head and I wasn't ready to face a possible rejection.

"Nah. She's your mate and if there's anything I've learned from having one, it's that you gotta face your fears head on." Frankie smiled as they moved closer to Al. "I was extremely frightened of what would happen if I chose to be with Alexa." Al beamed in response to hearing her full name fall so romantically from her partner's lips. "Thank the Goddess I didn't answer her call to be a guardian and decided to stay with Al instead."

Frankie beamed as Al began to reminisce with them over their beginnings as a couple. "You know Lia, you should be thankful Dakota hasn't been called to service by the Moon Goddess." She laughed as she looked back at Frankie, "Then you really would have something to be worried about!" With that, she stopped Frankie mid-step and gave them a passionate and loving kiss.

I jokingly whistled a cat-call as I continued my walk. After a few moments I looked back and realized they hadn't moved from their spot. "Hey lovebirds!" I called out to them, putting a halt to their impromptu moment. "Let's get Dakota, then you can go home and do whatever you both want with each other. Sound good?" I asked.

"Sounds perfect!" Al shouted back as they jogged up to me.

By this time Tali's hut was in sight. Smoke billowed out of the small chimney and made its way up to the night sky. "Oh god." I said under my breath. "I should have known."