(Chapter 6)

Ͼ Ella White Ͽ

“Dearly beloved,” the priest said. He was a normal-looking man, and he looked clearly delighted that his church was filled with so many celebrities. I closed my eyes, “we are gathered together here in the sight of God, and in the face of this company, to join together this Man and this Woman in holy matrimony”

Holy? Ha! I almost laughed.

“…and therefore is not by any to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly; but reverently, discreetly, advisedly, soberly, and in the fear of God…”

I glanced at Ash. He was looking completely and utterly calm – he was definitely not a Christian, then.

I forced myself not to hyperventilate. I felt so incredibly on show – I was in front of a hundred or so celebrities, at a wedding, my wedding – it was bizarre. It was the kind of thing you only dreamed about… because when it’s reality, it’s more like a nightmare.

My eyes couldn’t focus now, as I put all my energy into breathing and not sweating my new face off. Two blurry shapes moved in the front row – my Mom and my Dad. I couldn’t see them properly. I searched the crowd for Ash’s parents – where were they? Didn’t they even come?

I could feel a sharp acidic taste rise up my throat. I was going to puke. I was.

I turned my gaze resolutely back to the minister, and watched his mouth work up and down – I couldn’t hear him. My ears were filled with a strange buzzing – totally indecipherable, yet completely annoying. I bit my lip, scraping my lipstick.

“…if any man can show just cause,” he seemed to be saying, “why they may not lawfully be joined together, let him now speak, or else hereafter for ever hold his peace.”

Was it me, or was he talking abnormally fast? Why the hell wouldn’t he slow down?

I stared at Ash, with as much intensity as my eyes would allow. My head was spinning like hell. Ash matched my gaze, but he said nothing.

Speak up, Ella. This is the last chance. You don’t need the money. You can find a job as a cleaner, or a KFC counter girl, or beg – you don’t have to do this.

Yet, at the same time…

My eyes weren’t having any trouble now – I could see both my parents clearly. They were wearing clothes, the best clothes they’d worn in a long time. They could move out of the cramped little house they’d lived in for so long, and had move to the Upper East Side, to a beautiful penthouse. Dad would never quit his job, of course – he loved it too much – but at least if I did this, he wouldn’t have to worry about money again. My baby sister would be born into the best conditions possible, and she would be happy. Happier than I am. Happier than I ever was.

There was complete silence. No one said anything, at all. No one contradicted this sham of a marriage.

The minister continued.

“Ash Castillo, do you take Ella White to be your wedded wife, to live together in marriage? Do you promise to love, comfort, honor and keep her for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health. And forsaking all others, be faithful only to her so long as you both shall live?”

Blood pounded against my ears so hard I could barely hear his words, but I got the gist. I held my breath, and watched Ash.

He blinked and his perfect lips formed into a beautiful, captivating smile. I could feel my cheeks heat up, under my veil. My hand gripped at the cream silk of my dress.

“I do.” His voice was passionate, and his voice shaking in exactly the right way. There was an audible gasp from the church congregation. Not that I blamed them. Even I almost believed that he cared.