Part Eleven

The Warden instructed Henry to park the Bentley two blocks from the State Capital Complex. A heavily armed contingent of Watkins followers in multiple vehicles parked nearby.

Clara and Watkins walked the remaining distance to the Regional Capital main entrance. To the unknowing observer, they appeared as an adult woman with a college age young man walking together. Clara had arranged a meeting with the Governor for her nephew looking for an internship position.

They easily passed through the security checkpoint.

After a brief discussion with Watkins, two of the security checkpoint guards obediently followed behind them to the Governor’s office.

At the top of the stairs, a guard stood outside the large double doors to the Governor’s suite. Clara had visited many times before and as a known friend of Governor Tinley’s was allowed in without hesitation.

Watkins briefly spoke to the guard at the door. He nodded in agreement and joined the two checkpoint guards that followed closely behind.

Clara and Watkins walked in to the waiting room and were met by Holly Morgan, the Governor’s personal assistant.

“Well, hello Clara, it’s so nice to see you again,” said Holly, “The Governor is waiting for you in his office. Is this your nephew I heard so much about?”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Holly.” Watkins said as he smiled flirtatiously and shook her hand.

Clara had never had a reason to take much notice of Holly before. But, the way Watkins obviously paid attention her was not welcome. In her new capacity as princess of the kingdom, Clara was not going to put up with a 25 year old Princeton girl flirting with her beloved man. That slut might be attractive in a brunette girl-next-door kind of way, but that could be easily fixed with a knife to her face.

No matter, Clara had to set that aside for now, as the Governor walked to the doorway and waved for them to join him in the main office.

“Clara, how are you my dear?” He said with the practiced grace of a career politician, “It’s so good to see you again. I have an appointment in half an hour, but I can always squeeze in some time for you!”

 “George, you’re such a gentleman, thank you for agreeing to see me on short notice,” Clara replied.

“You’re one of the people I never turn away, Clara. Is this your nephew you wanted me to meet?” asked the Governor.

Then he gave a puzzled look at the three guards in close tow behind them, and said “What are you doing here? You should be back at your posts.”

“Don’t worry about them Gov, they’re with me now.” Said Watkins as he stepped aggressively forward and shook the Governor’s hand.

This caused both of the Governor’s body guards to react. Watkins maintained a tight grip on the Governor’s hand then waved at them with his left and said “Don’t do anything rash gentlemen. Step back and you might live through this.”

One of the body guards immediately stopped while the other continued forward far enough to put his hand on Watkins shoulder before he also stopped dead in his tracks.

Watkins released the Governor’s hand and said, “Take a seat and be quiet Gov, I’ll get back to you in a bit. And that wasn’t a request.”

Turning to the two body guards, he said, “Take your hand off of me and stand with your backs against the wall.”

Both men complied with the order.

No one else moved a muscle. They were held in place by Watkins unseen power.

Clara was enjoying the show of force and could not help but smile as she stood behind her man. She felt born again.

“What are your names?” Watkins asked the body guard to his left.

“I’m Bill and this is Lewis.” Replied Bill

Watkins said, “Lewis, hand Bill your gun.”

Lewis visibly hesitated while trying to resist Watkins command.

“Do it now Lewis.” Watkins forcefully reiterated.

It took a few seconds, but whatever inner strength he had was overcome by Watkins, and then Lewis slowly handed his gun to Bill.

“Lewis, you put your hand on me. That was a mistake.” Said Watkins, “Bill, I can tell that Lewis has a strong-willed stubborn streak that’s going to be a problem in the long run. We can’t have that. You’re either with me or against me. Are you with me, Bill?”

“Yes, I am.” Replied Bill.

“Yes, you’re what Bill? No quibbling, I want to hear you say it in a complete sentence. Come on, out with it.”

“Yes, I’m with you Mr. Watkins.”

“Good,” replied Watkins, “Then prove it and shoot him in the head. Do it now.”

Without emotion or hesitation, Bill lifted the gun and shot Lewis as instructed.

The gunshot was deafening inside the office.

Clara watched in fascination as Lewis’s body fell to the ground in a heap, leaving an ugly blood splatter behind on the wall. The blood pattern reminded her of a macabre Rorschach Inkblot from her psychiatrist. The only thing missing was “How does that make you feel?”

Gradually her hearing returned after the gunshot and the sound of Holly sobbing became grindingly apparent. Clara’s first thought was to shake her quiet and push her into a seat. But, before she could act, Watkins walked to her and held her hand saying,

“Crying won’t help, Holly. This ugliness is a necessary thing to establish my new order. You should be happy that you’re here at the beginning. Now stop that crying so you can watch and learn.”

Holly stared doe-eyed at Watkins and stopped crying. Her eyes followed every move he made.

Watkins turned to the two checkpoint guards, and said “Go to the entrance and let the rest of our people in. Do whatever the Warden tells you to do.”

With a sweeping motion of his arms, Watkins surveyed the room and said, “Everyone understands that you’re either with me or against me, right?”

Everyone, except the Governor nodded yes. Governor Tinley sat quietly paralyzed but red-faced trying to fight Watkins control.

“Bill, take this duct tape and strap the Gov to his chair. Make it nice and tight so he can’t move.”

While Bill was taping the Governor to his chair, Clara grabbed Holly by the arm, pulled her into the waiting room and closed the door. No one followed.

“Alright Susie Cream Cheese,” said Clara as she put her foot up on a desk and aggressively pulled out the Kevlar knife from her boot. “You try to put the move on my man again and I’ll carve my name in your face.”

“But, but I didn’t do anything…” replied Holly as she began sobbing again.

“I don’t want to hear anymore blubbering girl.” Clara replied violently, “All I want from you is to start having sex with any man in that room except mine. And I mean right now. Pick one and go fuck him in the other office. Otherwise I’m going to cause you more pain that you ever thought possible.”

“What? You want me to what?” Holly stuttered back.

In response, Clara launched forward and drove the butt of her hands into Holly’s chest sending her crashing backward over a chair. When she attempted to stand again, Clara forcefully bent her backward over a desk, putting the knife high and tight to her throat.

“You fucking heard me bitch. Pretend you didn’t hear me again and I’m going to spill your blood all over this nice carpeting.”

“Please, don’t hurt me.” Holly said in a surprisingly calm voice, “I’ll do whatever you want. I promise.”

“Damned right you will,” replied Clara, “the Warden looks like he needs some attention. When he gets here, you make it happen. Unbutton your blouse and look available. Here, use my lipstick, you look like shit.”