Part Ten

After the Bentley came to a halt the riot squad took positions along the driveway, then Watkins opened the door and motioned to Clara,

“This is a private matter Princess, so I’ll stay here while you visit.”

Clara figured out where they were headed almost as soon as they left the prison. She scanned the view from the window then left the car and walked along the ornate brick sidewalk past the well-manicured landscaping to her home.

She had walked through the front door many times before, but this was different. Not a servant was in sight. Although they had a full-time staff of ten, the mansion seemed deserted.

Upstairs, the main bedroom was locked, but Mark opened the French mahogany doors within seconds of her knocking.

The smile he produced upon seeing Clara quickly faded when he noticed the pistol in her hand.

She raised the gun and said, “Mark, we need to talk. Is now a good time?”

The Warden paced up and down the driveway, under the watchful eye of the riot squad, talking rapidly between different people. He tapped his ear to close out communications and said, “Sir, the advance team is in place and the main force is just getting into position. What do you want them to do?”

“Has Condon contacted you and given the signal that he’s ready?” asked Watkins.

“Yes sir. All of your contacts have reported in. They’re all ready to begin.”

Watkins calmly replied, “Excellent. Tell them not to start until I get there. This won’t take too much longer.”

“I don’t mean to sound pushy sir, but we don’t have a lot of time.”

“Warden, Lincoln’s been around since 1856, do you think it’s going somewhere?”

“Sir, if we’re going to take over Lincoln by tomorrow, we need to get all our people in place. You put me in charge of this incursion sir, I’m just trying to do my job, like the simple Marine that I am.”

“Don’t you think she’s worth the effort Warden?”

“I know you have your reasons Sir. It’s just that I don’t understand why we have to spend so much time here.”

“Believe me, this is time well spent. If you apply the right amount of force, women usually do what you want. Only the best ones have to be coaxed when they’re under pressure, like her. This is all part of the process. I’m developing my resources. Everybody needs development. Just look at you. Two months ago you were a prison warden working for a pension and now you’re my right hand man. Soon you’ll be operating from the governor’s mansion.”

Mark stepped back from the gun. Clara pushed her way into the bedroom following his retreat. As usual, he began explaining why she should listen to him—which only irritated her more. She was tired of his constant explanations. His words filled the air between them, but were lost as they bounced off her indifference.

Though Clara knew it was wrong, she didn’t care. She knew she shouldn’t do it, yet it felt right, so she stepped closer, close enough to feel his breath.

No complications, all the normal filters were gone, full steam ahead, pull the trigger. Watch the muzzle flash—see the body fall—I’m hungry.

The Warden glanced around nervously as if expecting police cars to roll down the driveway at any moment and said, “What’s taking her so long?”

“This is not a woman you rush,” replied Watkins. “Let her do what she needs to do, in her own sweet time. Trust me, you don’t want to get crosswise with her.”

Clara instinctively walked to the bathroom. After stripping off her bloodied shirt, she stood peering at herself in the mirror. She had always been considered a beautiful woman, but after being with Watkins and understanding her future, for the first time in her life she felt old.

As she stood shirtless over the sink washing blood from her hands, Watkins appeared in the doorway. He leaned against the frame and watched her in silence.

After washing, Clara turned to him and calmly said, “Just because I killed someone, it doesn’t mean I’m insane, does it?”

Without answering, Watkins took out a pack of cigarettes, lit one and threw the pack to her.

He took a long drag and said, “Why do you care? From now on, as long as you please me you can do whatever you want.”

“How sweet of you to say that…I guess I just don’t like the idea of being crazy.”

“Crazy and insane are two different things, Princess. Crazy gets you put in a straightjacket. But some of the most important people in history were insane. That means you’d have some first class company.”

“So, you’re saying that killing someone in cold blood does mean I’m insane?”

“Well, it isn’t evidence that you’re not.”

“I suppose so, but it’s not what I expected.”

“What isn’t?”

“Insanity, I thought it would be different. This feels like more of the same to me.”

“There’s a fine line between what’s supposed to be normal or insane. The right question to ask yourself is, do you like the way it feels?”

“I could get used to it.”

Watkins glanced down at Mark’s body and said, “I see you had no problem carrying out the favor I asked.”

Clara suddenly turned her back on him and disappeared into her closet. She stepped out moments later buttoning up a crisp white cotton shirt.  Moving quickly to exit the room, she bumped between Watkins and the doorframe, stared into his eyes and stated brusquely, “Don’t ever question my loyalty again.”

Back at the Bentley, Watkins approached Henry and The Warden. He could see Clara was in the car with the window cracked, smoking a cigarette. From their looks, it was apparent her contact had left a lasting impression on both of them. He didn’t ask what happened and they didn’t offer to explain. She had that effect on men.

He knew she was the right one for him.

Watkins said to them, “I want that woman close to me at all times. If she ever gets more than a hundred yards away from me for any reason, I’ll personally peel your skin off. So, you better not let me down. Are we clear?”

Both men nodded with enthusiasm.