𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

𝚜𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚘𝚕𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚜 𝚝𝚘 𝚙𝚊𝚒𝚗𝚝 𝚑𝚒𝚖 𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍 𝚑𝚊𝚍 𝚕𝚎𝚏𝚝 𝚑𝚒𝚖 𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚢- 𝚊𝚝𝚝𝚒𝚌𝚞𝚜

"𝐒𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧, 𝐛𝐨𝐲𝐬! 𝐒𝐥𝐨𝐰 down, you horrible phalanx of pubescence!" Mr. McAlister's voice thundered over the horde of boys shoving each other up or down the staircase. Ophelia was clinging helplessly onto Neil's sleeve, hoping they wouldn't be separated. They had made their way into their science class, sitting next to one another.

"Pick three laboratory experiments from the project list and report on them every five weeks. The first twenty questions at the end of chapter one are due tomorrow," their science teacher told them, inducing a multitude of groans from her classmates. Once the bell rang, Pitts walked up to Ophelia with a pout on his face. She laughed softly, interlocking their arms together and dragged him towards their Latin class. Meeks occupied the seat next to her in hopes they would be paired together in group projects. They had bonded over the fact that they could partially speak Latin, starting to have private conversations the boys couldn't interpret or sending notes to each other in class so they wouldn't get caught. The pair were considered to be the smartest of the group, yet neither of them could see their own brilliance and constantly took to complimenting the others. Once the lesson started, Mr. McAlister began his usual routine of repeating words over and over until they were engraved in their minds. "Agricolam."

"Agricolam,"  the students repeated lifelessly, desperately hoping the bell would ring earlier today.
"Agricola."
"Agricola."
"Agricolarum."
"Agricolarum."
"Agricolis."
"Agricolis." 

The process continued for the remainder of the lesson, Ophelia feeling the bags gather under her eyes out of pure boredom. The thought of their next class being trigonometry caused her to groan and lean against Knox on their way there. He laughed at her and couldn't help but understand her feelings in that exact moment, already anticipating the enormous work load they would undoubtedly receive.
"Your study of trigonometry requires absolute precision. Anyone failing to turn in any homework assignment will be penalised one point off their final grade. Let me urge you now not to test me on this point," Dr. Hager's voice droned on and on, Charlie already beginning to fall asleep. Ophelia allowed her gaze to rest on Todd, who was sat two desks in front of her. Her mind wouldn't let the feeling that filled her soul when their eyes met leave. It was almost electric, his intoxicating gaze staring into her soul, scrambling to figure out the enigma before him. She craved to stare into his eyes once more, desperately wanting to experience his fiery gaze again. Charlie bumped her shoulder, dragging her out of her thoughts to beckon her to their next class. She looked up, finding Todd had already left with Neil and silently followed Charlie to the class, which she didn't know would change her perspective on life forever.