𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏

𝚜𝚒𝚝 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚙𝚊𝚒𝚗

𝚜𝚒𝚝 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚙𝚊𝚒𝚗. 𝚑𝚘𝚕𝚍 𝚒𝚝𝚜 𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚍. 𝚒𝚝 𝚒𝚜 𝚊𝚜 𝚜𝚌𝚊𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚊𝚜 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚛𝚎. - 𝙳𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚊 𝙷𝚒𝚌𝚔𝚜-𝚆𝚒𝚕𝚜𝚘𝚗

"𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫." 𝐎𝐩𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐚 𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟 grimace at her tone of voice. "I didn't expect to see you here."
Ophelia felt her hand tighten around Todd's, to which he in turn spoke up. "It's wonderful to see you, Mr. and Mrs. Williams."
Ophelia's eyes fluttered up to his face, spotting a charming smile she hadn't seen before, one so fake that she was sure it mirrored her own when meeting his parents. Todd moved them forward, reaching out to shake Ophelia's father's hand, followed by being pulled into a big hug by her mother.
"It's so wonderful dear!" her mother exclaimed while pulling her into a hug. "My friend's son is marrying my daughter!"
Ophelia began to stutter out a response, trying to deny her mother's words, but was cut off by Todd who began to nod. "I can imagine what happiness that brings you, Mrs. Williams. I hope your husband has the same sentiment?"
His eyes drifted towards Ophelia's father, who rose to his feet and moved to shake Todd's hand.
"Of course it is, son. Welcome to the family."
Ophelia felt the air begin to suck out of her, her grip on Todd's hand tightening.
"If you would excuse us for a moment, I was hoping to show Ophelia my book collection before dinner. We both know how much she loves to read," Todd said with a small chuckle, looking at both her and his parents for permission.
"Oh, of course dear," Todd's mother smiled, "We'll call you both when the food is ready."
With that, Todd gently pulled Ophelia out of the room and up the stairs, then closing the door to his room.
"Honey," he whispered, wrapping his arms around her. She was quick to pull away though, looking up at him in confusion.
"Why did you do that?"
"What?"
"Why were you so," she paused, hands loving around as she tried to find the word, "so great to them?"
He smiled slightly, moving closer and placing his hand on her cheek, "Because I know that if I wasn't, I wouldn't be able to have you for the rest of my life. I'm already planning on marrying you, my little poet. Not yet, of course, but once we're ready, we will be married. We will be happy for the rest of our lives."
A blush rose to her cheeks, a smile gracing her features.
"You really want to stay with me forever?" she whispered.
"Till the end." he affirmed.
She sighed and looked at him uncertainly. "He wasn't always like that, you know."
Todd knew she was talking about her father and encouraged her to continue with her thoughts.
"He became violent when his brother died. Father was full of life, excitement. He cared so for my future, wishing nothing more than my success, which was through my own mind. The day my uncle died, it was as though something broke inside him which could never be fixed..."
Another sigh left her mouth and she looked at him. "Thank you for being you. I would be lost without you." She reached up, placing a gentle kiss on his lips. Todd, not satisfied with the small display of affection, moved his hands to her waist, pulling her tightly against him as he began to kiss her hungrily. Just as Todd's hand began to move lower down her back, a yell was heard from downstairs. Sighing, he pulled away and rested his forehead against hers. "We better go," he whispered, placing one last kiss on her lips and cheek, then moved to look at his appearance in the mirror.
"I love you, Todd."
He smiled as he turned around to face her, his hair now neat and his shirt pulled straight. "I love you more."

Ophelia felt herself begin to sink into her perfect persona as they walked down the stairs, the only thing anchoring her to her true self being Todd's gentle touch on her lower back. He led her to the dining room, where she began to have a pleasant conversation with Todd's mother, as well as her own while Todd spoke to her and his fathers. She felt her shoulders begin to relax, the calm room and the soft circles Todd's thumb drew on her thigh being enough to calm her nerves, at least, until a snarky voice spoke up from across the room. "So why'd you choose him?"
The conversations around the table seized as all eyes snapped to Jeffrey, who's face adorned a smug smile and eyes dripped with self-confidence.
"Jeffrey," his mother began, but was cut off by the man once again.
"No, mother. I want to know why she chose little Todd over there."
Ophelia gaped at him, shocked at the sudden question, but refused to break eye contact with the man. "Well," she began, dabbing her mouth with her napkin while ignoring the way Todd's hand wrapped itself around her thigh and lightly squeezed it, "There are many reasons why I fell in love with Todd-" Ophelia was rudely cut off by a snort, followed by hysterical laughter.
"You love him?" Jeffrey exclaimed, " Well you've really done it this time Todd. You just couldn't handle the fact that mom and dad were proud of the fact that I'm engaged, that you had to come and bring this perfect girl to make them adore her and take the spotlight away from me. You need to grow up, little brother."
Just as Ophelia was about to retort, feeling deep resentment for the man across the room, Todd squared his shoulders and answered him in a deep and firm voice. "I didn't have any intention of telling our families until we were ready to get engaged, Jeffrey, which would have been months after your wedding. Mother and father were told without our knowledge, therefore meaning that I didn't do any of this to spite you. I'm happy. I love Ophelia with my entire soul, which is a lot more than you can say about your fiancé."
Ophelia sucked in a breath, her eyes darting between the brothers, unsure of what Jeffrey's reaction would be to his words.
"That's enough, Todd," his father demanded, "I think it's time you both head back to school now. I'll have George drive you back."

Ophelia stood, along with the adults, ready to say her goodbyes. Todd's mother pulled her into a delicate hug, whispering, "I'm happy to have you as a daughter," as she did. Ophelia's own mother looked at her proudly. "You have chosen well," she praised, placing her hand on Ophelia's shoulders, "Now don't mess it up." Ophelia nodded obediently, smiling tightly at her as she moved to her father.
"You better behave," he whispered, his hold on her arm tightening to the point where she flinched from the pain.
"Of course, father," she said through a shaky breath, desperate to move back into Todd's hold and go back to the comforts of her dorm.
With a nod, he let her go, but his threatening gaze did not waver as Todd and Ophelia moved out the room.

"What did you talk to my father about?" she asked, peering up at him as they walked out the door.
"Oh, you know. Just how to deal with your insubordinate behaviour and to not be afraid to show you true discipline." A chill ran down Ophelia's spine, not due to the thought of Todd doing such things to her, as she knew he would never, but due to the awful thought of what would have happened to her if she would have been stuck with a man who would not hesitate to do so.
"I see," she muttered, her grip on his hand faltering lightly.
"Hey," he stopped and turned her to face him, "It's just us now. You're safe."
She nodded, then frowned up at him as she let her forefinger graze his cheek. "Are you alright?" she whispered, her eyes desperately searching his as she looked for any sign of discomfort.
Todd smiled lightly, moving his face to place a kiss on her hand. "I will be. I have you, how could I not be."

On their way back to Welton, Ophelia leaned into Todd, who tightened his grip on her, anchoring them both. She knew they would need to address tonight soon, but the pain and fear which filled them both was enough to cause neither to speak about it.
"I never want to go back, Todd," she whispered, both of them knowing that she meant to his and her own homes.
"You won't," he stated firmly. "We're never going back there. Never."
Ophelia closed her eyes, knowing that these words weren't true, yet held such hope and desperation for their future. She desperately clung onto that hope, hoping that the worst was behind them, not knowing the tragedy that awaited.