Am I A Bad Person?

~Remember once the things you told me and how the tears ran from my eyes. They didn't fall because it hurt me, I just hate to see you cry. Sometimes I wish we could be strangers so I didn't have to know your pain. But if I kept myself from danger this emptiness would feel the same. I ain't no angel, I never was. But I never hurt you, it's not my fault. You see those eggshells, they're broken now. A million pieces strewn out across the ground~Birdy.

Chapter Theme Song: 'No Angel' by Birdy.

°°

Rainey

"Kendra and I used to be friends. We were not close, but we were acquaintances. Riley and I would hang out with her and her friends from time to time. We first met her at the orientation of seventh grade. We were complaining about the vice principal's speech being boring and she chimed in saying she heard that he was a widower with four dogs and that his hair was a wig. We laughed at that; you know how silly high school kids are, and I guess that's where we became friends, or whatever you call it." I begin.

Ansel sits across from me on the bed, attentively listening. He nods his head, encouraging me to go on.

I lick my lips and sigh. "Then we started hanging out quite often. She appeared so loyal; you know. She would curse anyone who she felt violated me. She seemed so cool at the start, but then she gradually began to change into this...evil person."

°°Flashback Begins°°

°10th grade. Last term.°

"Last night was fucking epic, right Monica?" Kendra propped her feet onto her desk, chewing a piece of gum in her mouth while she grinned ecstatically.

We were at the back of our homeroom classroom, waiting for our teacher's appearance so we could be dismissed. We all would sit next to each other and Kendra would normally throw a fit if anyone took our seats.

Monica chuckled. "Yeah, we got so high I swore I caught a glimpse of god."

"Where'd you guys go?" Riley asked as she stole a chip from my bag of Lays. I took a sip of my boxed milk while I waited to hear as well. These girls partied a lot, even on a school night.

"My Uncle's club. Crypto." Kendra smiled, twirling the gum on her index finger. "Lots of sexy guys were there and I am not talking about teenagers."

"I'd never date a guy way older than me." Riley made a face, and Monica laughed, shaking her head. "Teenage guys are lame, if you want someone who isn't always in their feelings and know how to let the cash off willingly, you need a man at least twice your age."

I slightly cringed at her ideology. "Isn't that illegal? You guys are still sixteen."

Kendra chuckled. "You wouldn't understand, Rain. You are rich. We have to hustle that money." She giggled along with Monica while Riley and I exchanged glances. The more we hung out with them, the more we realized how completely different we were from them.

Selena, a girl in our homeroom who wore glasses and consistently topped straight A's in all her classes passed by my seat. She had a bit of weight so her hip bounced against my desk and the carton of milk knocked onto the floor, splashing all over my jeans.