Chapter 6

Dani's pov

-

"I walked up to him with your words lingering on my mind all day" Mia said, my jaw clenched as I turned away from her, using the book stacking as an excuse to not look into her eyes

"I marched right up him and told him everything. I talked about the first time I fell in love with him, I talked about the first time we made me feel butterflies-" I felt a ping in my heart by her words.

"He was taken back at first but we talked about it. He told me that he really liked me during freshman year, he just thought it wasn't interested, how funny is that?" Mia questioned laughing

"Hilarious." I gritted through my teeth and shoved a book onto the shelf.

"I told him that I actually liked him before that and it's never stopped. He actually apologized for drifting apart our friendship... Then he asked me out on a date" Mia mumbled

It was as if those words had knocked every wisp of air from my lungs, and I stood there frozen, struggling to inhale, to exhale, to do anything.

That's how I feel now, trying to remember how to breathe, unable to speak, totally stunned as the words bounces around inside my skull.

"Wh-what did you say" I mumbled out, how foolish of me. I already know the answer.

"I said yes dummy" Mia giggled, even her sweet voice couldn't heal the pain that was rising.

The sadness drained through me. It travelled through every cell, I filtered it yet strangely enough, I kept what was pure and it was the dirt that left.
Oh for fuck sakes, what is happening to me.

"I'm so excited, we're going on this weekend" Mia smiled, I turned to face her with the most fake smile I could ever pull off

"I'm happy for you" I muttered, she squealed and ran into my arms, her hands wrapped around my waist and she laughed into my chest.

I clenched my jaw, her warmth spread through me and slowly calmed my nerves. It's scary how much this girl how so much power over me.

I stood there with my arms to my sides, my teeth grinded against each other and Mia's arms were around me.

"What's wrong?" she questioned as she pulled away

"Nothing" I mumbled and I shook my head

"Are you sure? You're not your cheery self right now" she chuckled

"Stuff on my mind" I faked a smile

"Do you wanna talk about it?" she asked, I locked my eyes with hers. Her honey brown eyes showed nothing but innocence.

Who am I to stop true love from happening? She really cares about this guy and she's known him for years. It's been a couple weeks since we've met and I'm feeling all these things towards her. I shouldn't step in the way of her desires, I'm not giving up on her but I'm not fighting either.

"I'm finished with my side, I'll see you later Mia" I mumbled, I stepped back and trailed my eyes over her

She stood there with a confused look on her face, she bit her pink lips nervously and she eyed me. She was so clueless that it was almost hilarious.

"Bye Mia" I muttered before walking around her, I made a left turn and walked down the hallway of the library. I found feel her eyes on me.

I just couldn't be there anymore. My heart felt like it was breaking into two just looking at her. Where there was once happiness and love, was now replaced with heartache and pain. The kind of pain that I've never felt before.