Chapter 24: Nightmare

*triggers*

§
When I opened my eyes again, my ankles were duct taped to a chair, my arms were duct taped behind the seat, and there was duct tape over my mouth. I tugged at the restraints and tried to shout, though it obviously came out muffled behind the duct tape. I was doing my best not to panic, but I felt tears coming to my eyes.

"Good luck getting out of those."

I looked to the direction of the voice to find a man I had never seen before. He had his hand on his chin as he looked at me. I fought against the restraints even more, still knowing it wasn't worth it. The guy crouched in front of me, a grin growing on his face.

"You really are pretty, aren't you?" he said, a laugh following his words. I jerked my face away from his hand that was coming up to stroke my cheek. "Mm. Feisty too." He grabbed the corner of the duct tape and ripped it off my face, causing me to cry out in pain.

"Where the hell am I?" I asked when I recovered.

"Oh yeah, good try," he laughed.

"What's going on?" I pressed. "Who the hell are you?"

"Hasn't your boyfriend told you anything about me?"

And it clicked. Mackie .

"I don't know what you want from me," I said, "but I don't have anything for you."

"Oh, I know that," he said. "But you can bring something to me. Or someone."

"Tom isn't stupid enough to fall into your trap," I said.

"That's where you're wrong," Mackie said. "Usually, you're right. I can never get him where I want him. But you-" He stroked my cheek again, then gave it a slap. I winced. "I think he'd cross mountains and rivers for you."

"Bullshit," I spat. Mackie clenched his jaw and slapped me again.

"Swearing is not becoming of a lady," he said.

"Fuck you."

And that earned me another slap across the face.

"If you're going to keep me here," I said, shaking my head like that would move the pain away, "I at least want to know how you've been following me. How you knew about me at the club. How you did any of this."

"The Hollands never know how to spot a rat," Mackie said. Mackie whistled, and three guys came into the room. One was Liam, the guy I met at the bar on my night out, one was Stan, the guy Tom had warned me about at the club, and the other was James. James, who inappropriately touched me. James, who called me a prostitute. James, who Tom almost shot. James. James, the fucking rat.

"You fucking dickhead," I said, my eyes narrowing at James. Mackie grabbed my hair and yanked my head to force me to look at him.

"Watch your tongue," he said. I clenched my jaw before spitting in Mackie's face. He closed his eyes, let out a heavy sigh, and delivered the harshest slap to my cheek. Sebastian reached into the waist of his pants and pulled out a gun, pointing it at my head.

This was not the first gun I had pointed at me, but did it ever get easier? Less scary?

"We're not shooting her," Mackie said, raising a hand up at Sebastian without even looking at him. With his other hand, he reached into his pocket and whipped out a knife. "There's other things though, that we can do."