46 | the council

this was requested by _SilverSpike_!

the council is the governing body that was in charge of creating, executing, and interpreting the laws on the ark (possibly arkadia as well once they reached the ground). it is lead by the chancellor.

I. THE MEMBERS. each member is nominated by the chancellor themself. usually, they are well-known and respected individuals of high status. 

A. THE CHANCELLOR. chancellors are elected by the people for multi-year terms, though the exact number of years is unknown. it is also not specified how many subsequent terms a chancellor can run. however, it seems to be quite a long time considering jaha was the chancellor for the entirety of wells' and clarke's childhoods. (diana sydney was chancellor before him, but lost to him during an election. it is unclear when exactly this occurred). 

the chancellor is the final authority on the ark. they act as a tie-breaker if the council comes to a disagreement. they are allowed to step down whenever they please, and someone from the council is always a designated successor in case the chancellor steps down, dies, or is otherwise unfit for office. 

(known chancellors are thelonious jaha, abby griffin, diana sydney, charles pike, and marcus kane.)

B. OTHER COUNCILORS. there are six seats on the council. as previously stated, the chancellor will elect someone if there is an open spot. this nomination must then be approved by the other members. these members often possess classified information that is filtered to the people by station representatives. 

(known council members are thelonious jaha, marcus kane, abby griffin, cole, kaplan, muir, fuji, and diana sydney.)

C. OFFICERS. officers are high-ranking individuals in the ark, but not as high as the council. they also know some information that is not available to the rest of the ark's citizens. 

(eric jackson is a medical officer. other officers were callie cartwig, jake griffin, and jacapo sinclair. jake was the senior environmental engineer & deputy resource officer while sinclair was the engineering officer).

II. LAWS. laws on the ark were very harsh and strict. in order to maintain limited resources and continue the survival of humanity for as long as possible, these laws were deemed necessary. 

one of the most potent laws was the single-child rule imposed on couples. other strict ones include the heavily-monitored distribution of food/supplies and medical personnel being advised not to "waste" resources on lost causes. 

the punishment for committing all crimes, no matter the severity, is either being floated or locked in the sky box (if the criminals were minors). once they turn eighteen, they are given one final chance to make their case to the council. they can either be pardoned and return to normal society or floated.

III. PROJECT EXODUS. project exodus was the plan to send the people back to the ground in about three more generations. originally, there were eight exodus ships, which weren't enough to carry everyone on the ark to the ground. this fatal flaw was supposed to be somehow fixed in the next century, but they ran out of time once the oxygen started depleting. 

one of the dropships was used to send the delinquents to the ground to see if the earth was inhabitable – as criminals, their lives were deemed expendable compared to the other civilians. once diana sydney's mutiny left the other dropships unusable, they ended up using the entire ark to bring everyone to earth. 

A. EXODUS CHARTER. this was created by the council on the ark in preparation for the eventual return to the ground. since the conditions on earth would be much different than those in space. they had to make new rules. 

unauthorized use of firearms was to be punishable with ten shock lashes; only the ark guard was allowed to possess firearms. the punishment for high treason was execution. after abby becomes chancellor, the charter is repealed, but pike puts it back in place when he places arkadia under martial law. after his death, the charter is repealed once more. 

i hope that this is what you were looking for! i did a lot of research on the wiki site as well as digging through stuff on the show to make this as accurate and thorough as possible