Chapter Thirty: Lakay

I was right when I thought I wouldn't have slept at all tonight, and with me, half the camp kept awake. We all had the vain hope that someone else would have shown up. Stupid, right?

As the sun arrived, Charles, Sadie and I were ready to leave. Now we're heading to this place Charles knows. It's a little muddy village in Lagras populated by some curious folks. He says he run into them some time ago and that they shouldn't be more than ten men. In the meantime the others will move the wagons and everything.

If I described Shady Belle as barely livable, this place seems intolerable.When we came here with Dutch to take our revenge on Bronte it was at night and the situation didn't seem so critic, but in the morning the wetness of the air rises and it sticks to my skin and the high temperatures make an awful smell come out of the water. How can people live here?

We get down our horses and follow a little path which winds between the trees that deep their thick roots in the stagnant water, until we see a couple of shabby shacks. Idling among them there are five or six men as shabby and dirty as the buildings are, if not worse.

"Alright, we take those on the left. Charles, you deal with the ones on the right" whispers Sadie.

We move low and quiet rounding the big house, when we notice something interesting.

"Look, it's a trapdoor. We can use it to get them from the back" suggests Sadie.

We climb through it and follow the house perimeter until we find a door and get inside. There are blankets and clothes on the floor, but no people. From indoors, we reach the front of the house and peek outside from the broken planks.

"We have a good cover from here. We should start shooting" I say.

"You're right" she answers.

She takes out her gun and gives me no time to take mine, starting to shoot like crazy at those unaware poor bastards. The only reaction they can have is bring their hands on their heads and run around looking for some kind of cover that doesn't exist.

Charles comes out from the other side and finishes those few still standing. They didn't look dangerous. Maybe the only kind of weapons they had are axes and machetes. To dispose of the bodies, we throw them in the water, knowing that the alligators will take care of them. Then, we sit on the porch steps of one of the two houses and wait for the others to come.

"What about Hosea and Lenny's bodies?" I ask, my mind incapable not to think of them.

"You think we'll be able to take them back and bury them?" I add.

"We can try. But... I don't know where we could find them" replies Sadie.

"They will be at the police station in Saint Denis. They take there the bodies of the criminals before they bring them to the morgue" says Charles.

"I know where it is. It's a very external part of the city, next to the factories. It shouldn't be hard to get there without alert the law" I say.

"You think it's a good idea? Go back to that city after what happened?" asks Sadie.

"We have to. We can't leave them there."

"And we'll go at night. So we have more chances not to be seen" adds Charles.

"And about John? We need to rescue him."
"One thing at a time. We still don't know where he is. We'll try to find something about him too" replies Charles.

"We must. Or Abigail will kill us all."
We stare at each other and he nods reassuringly. He seems so calm, so strong, so fearless. Me, every inch of my body is shaking with fear, my mind restlessly thinks of the worst possible scenario. The dreadful feeling that I'm losing everything again won't leave me.