20 | Caught Up On You

"You know, you can totally tell me to get lost if you don't want me to third wheel you and Zack," I say to Lizzie as she takes one of the popcorn buckets from the food table.

The set up for movie night looks great, and I can see why the staff was busy putting it together all day. There's a large, white screen positioned in front of the lake, and colorful sheets decorate the sand. Most campers have brought their own blankets, towels, and pillows to make things extra comfortable. A few got here early enough to snag the few available lounge chairs and bean bags— including Rita, of course. She and her crew have been shooing away anyone who even dares to try siting within a foot radius.

Liz and I are at the start of the beach, where there are multiple tables of paper plates and cups, various sodas and juices, bags of chips, candy, and pre-portioned buckets of popcorn courtesy of the kitchen staff.

Thankfully, yesterday's sudden storm didn't feel like sticking around, so there are no worries about us getting rained out. The night is clear and comfortably chilly thanks to the breeze blowing off of the lake. Best of all, Zack was nice enough to rush down here and set up a blanket far, far away from Rita and Co.

"As if!" Lizzie wheels around to face me. "Come on, I am so not about to ditch you just because Zack and I are an item. Plus, I think this bucket has enough popcorn for like, ten people— we'll need your help polishing it off."

I can practically feel my heart swell at the words. At least there's one irrational, paranoia-fueled fear officially debunked. "I guess I just figured you two might want some time alone."

Lizzie laughs shortly as my eyes scan the snack selection. "Yeah, alone time on the beach with every other person at camp."

I smile as I grab a bag of sour gummies and a bottle of water. "Fair enough."

"I don't know if we'll get another moment alone. I mean, finding somewhere empty around here is like getting struck by lightning." Lizzie scrunches her nose as we slowly start back to the beach. "Although, if I'm being honest, it's kind of a relief."

I raise my eyebrows, freezing in my tracks. My head swirls with confusion, heart sinking— trouble in paradise already? Just when I thought I was starting to understand the appeal of relationships again, my best example of a healthy one flakes out on me. "You don't want to be alone with Zack?"

"It's not that! Well— I mean— I dunno. Sort of?"

"That clears things up," I joke, watching her expression contort as she tries to sort it out in her head.

"I'm still just as crazy about Zack as ever," she explains as the two of us walk again. "But what you walked in on was a heat of the moment type thing. It was my first real kiss, unless we're counting Jimmy Quan on the playground when I was eight years old. I guess I'm just... nervous."

"Nervousness." I nod, watching my feet so I don't accidentally trip over any sitting campers. "Definitely something I can understand."

Lizzie squeals, jumping up and down as she grabs onto my shoulder. "Let me guess, butterflies in your stomach and life-threatening heart palpitations served up by the popcorn popper himself?" She plops a piece of the buttery goodness into her mouth for emphasis.

I sigh, unable to fight the way I do get butterflies in my stomach just from thinking about him. "Bingo."

She lets out another high-pitched noise, places a hand over her heart, and looks up at the stars with a dreamy stare. "You two will be so cute together."

I tell her to shut up, but can't stop the blush that creeps up my neck.

• • • 🌻 • • •