18. Not Like That

Ash? Will texted, looking around the school parking lot. He hadn't shown up on Monday, like he'd said, but now it was Wednesday and Ash hasn't answered a single text since Sunday.

Ash, I need to know if you're okay.

He was about to send another worried text when the bubble appeared with his reply on it.

Finally.

His shoulders slumped in relief when he read what it said. I'm here. Sorry.

A slight smile twitched at Will's lips. Where r u? I'm in the back parking lot.

Suddenly, a soft laugh came from behind him. "I'm right here, dummy."

Will whirled, then grinned and wrapped him in a tight hug. "Oh, thank God," he breathed. "Where were you?"

Ash didn't answer, only slid his arms around Will and buried his face in Will's shirt. His back shook, and with a jolt, Will realized he was crying.

"Oh my God," he said. "I--do you wanna go somewhere? We don't have to--"

"I can't," Ash said, his voice mumbled. "I--we can't--I don't want to be around you anymore, Will."

Will went still. Ash pushed away from him, tears rolling down his face as he looked up at him."I--I'm sorry, Will. I know...I know that's not what you're expecting, but--I--" His face twisted in what looked like actual, physical pain. "I don't like you like that. I thought I did, but..."

Will stared at him. His heartbeat thundered in his chest. "You..."

"I can't do it anymore, Will," Ash breathed, but he wouldn't meet Will's gaze. "I don't want to hurt you."

Will didn't say anything. He couldn't say anything.

"But--" he finally croaked. "You...you were the one who kissed me, in that store. It was you, not me. Why the hell would you do that if--" He couldn't finish.

"I don't know," Ash whispered. "Please, Will. Don't hate me. I--I just can't be friends with you anymore."

Will didn't say anything. He only stared, the overwhelming feeling that the boy in front of him was ripping his heart out and tearing it to pieces right in front of his eyes.

"Ash--" he said, his voice breaking. Tears swam in his vision. He staggered back a step, and in his blurred vision, he saw a fresh wave of tears rolling down Ash's face even as he tried to wipe them away.

"I told you," Will said, his voice thick. "I told you that if you were--if you were just lying--"

"I know," Ash interrupted. "And I'm sorry. I think--I think I thought it was something more...I think I was looking into it too much."

Will swallowed and look down, fighting the tears desperately. "Ash..." His breath caught in his throat and he looked up, a burst of anger flowing through him. "I--" His fists clenched, and he met Ash's gaze. "I can't believe I thought I loved you," he whispered. "I can't believe I thought you might--"

Ash's eyes widened. "Wait--" he said.

"--return any of the feelings I felt for you, with your annoying smile and stupid jokes and--" His breath was coming in pants, and he stopped short. He backed up another step. "I--I have to go."

"Wait, Will--"

"No," Will snarled. "No. You can't just--you can't just break my fucking heart and then go and pretend nothing happened because of this--I don't--no." He wiped at his face with his sleeve, his cheeks burning with humiliation. I shouldn't be crying--crying is stupid.

He turned and ran, reaching his truck and sliding into the driver's seat. He jammed his keys into the ignition, still fighting back tears.

I didn't like him anyway, he told himself, over and over and over again, but he knew that wasn't true. He'd let himself believe, like he had with Riley.

Riley.

Will swallowed hard, not wanting to cry even in the solitude of his truck as he drove past the park, past the diner where he and Ash had gotten milkshakes, past the library. He didn't stop until he was past the city limits, then turned into a side road and pulled over.

He laid his head back against the seat, breathing hard. He squeezed his eyes closed, desperately fighting back the tangled mass of emotions that threatened to drag him under until he couldn't anymore and he let out a choked sob.

- - -

"Hey."

Will looked up. "Hey," he said cautiously.

The boy smiled and sat down across from him, setting down his tray and holding out a hand. "I'm Riley. You're Will, right?"

Will narrowed his eyes slightly. "Yes," he hedged. "How do you know that?"

"I sit next to you in Calculus," Riley said brightly. "You know. I'm the one you cheat off of."

"Oh yeah," Will said. "Thanks for that, by the way."

Riley laughed. "No problem. Hey, I can help you, if you want."

Will blinked and leaned back in his chair. "What do you mean."

Riley smiled again, and Will's heart fluttered. "I can help tutor you," he said. "Meet me at Central Park after school today?"

Will regarded him with narrowed eyes. "Okay," he said finally. "Should I get your number or something?"

"Sure," Riley say, grabbing Will's wrist and pulling out a pen, uncapping it with his teeth and scrawling a phone number on his skin. Then he stood, grabbing his tray and saluting with another grin. "See ya then."

Will only arched a brow, and Riley left.

Will looked at the phone number on his hand, the memory of Riley's long fingers brushing against his wrist sending a small shiver along his body.

Oh boy, he thought.

- - -

Will's eyes snapped open.

His phone was ringing.

He groaned and rubbed his eyes, uncurling from his position curled up in the driver's side seat of his truck. He fumbled for his phone.

18 missed calls

Will's brows shot up. Who...

Ash?

No, he saw with no small measure of disappointment. It was Jessica and his teachers, wanting to know where he was.

There was one from Ash, but it was alone in the sea of other calls.

Then his eye caught another number, one that he didn't recognize. He drew his brows together. Hesitantly, he clicked on it, holding it up to his ear and waiting for an automated voice trying to sell him something.

Instead, someone picked up.

"Hello?" a familiar voice said.

Will froze.

"Tristan?"

- - - - - - -

Ooooooooh suspense!!!

Vote and comment if you liked it!

Q: favorite school subject?

A: English. Writing and Reading.