Chapter Thirty-Two: Home

Everything went perfectly. A tiny incision was made on my side that allowed the doctors to fix the stitch that had busted. I was thankful I was going home. 

Nurse Mia smiled as Lila packed up all my stuff. Technically I wasn't allowed out of the wheelchair, but I planned on breaking that rule. I mean, my room was upstairs. How was I supposed to sleep in bed if I couldn't walk? 

"Am I forgetting anything?" Lila asked. Father put his arms around her waist, making a brief smile curl her lips. I remained nonchalant. 

Yep, that's right. My father had finally made his second and final appearance at the hospital. Everyone thought it was so sweet when he ran through the door, apologizing for not coming to see me even sooner. He said that he wasn't able to take seeing me in that type of pain. He couldn't handle seeing me in the hospital. 

What a load of bull. 

"I don't think so. Did you grab my socks?" I asked. Nurse Mia had snuck me some super comfy socks that the hospital rarely gave out to patients. They were officially my favorite socks ever. Lila smiled at me and moved out of my father's arms. He frowned. 

"Yes, I got your socks. Anything else we're forgetting? Prescriptions, maybe?" Lila asked sarcastically. I laughed, then groaned at the throbbing pain in my side. My ribs were still broken and I still had a line of stitches going down my chest and stomach. So, yeah, still a bit of pain. 

"Nurse Mia is going to get them for me." I said with a little, reassuring smile. Lila looked over me worriedly. I knew what she was going to say. She wanted me to stay here for another night or two just to make sure everything was okay. I didn't see the point since I had been under observation for two days. 

I was saved from a lecture by the boys storming through the door and slamming it closed. I flinched at the loud sound compared to the busy but quiet noises I was used to. Flinching made me groan in pain again. 

Did anything not hurt?

The boys looked at the ground sheepishly after a quick scolding, given by Lila for being too loud. Carter then peeked out from behind the boys. We hadn't talked much since he was busy with Debate and Robotics. I was impressed he was in so many after-school clubs. 

I could barely make it to school most days. 

Speaking of school, my teachers were a little bit more than a little ticked off I had missed so much of their classes. They had sent a few nasty emails Lila's way, saying how being at school was a vital part of getting an education. When Lila explained I was in the hospital, after being mugged and nearly dying, the teachers suddenly turned very nice. After I started feeling better, the boys brought my work to me, which I did easily. It provided some sort of entertainment.

"Hi Ariel." Carter waved shyly. I waved back, a blush rising up my neck for some reason. God, why was I always beet red around this boy? Why was this fluttering feeling always in my gut when he came around? And why did I like it?

So many questions. 

"Hey Carter." I whispered back. 

Father watched the whole exchange with raised eyebrows. I wanted him to say something about me being a whore in front of the boys. I honestly wouldn't have minded seeing him getting put into his place by nine boys and one scary woman. Actually, Nurse Mia would probably yell at father too, making that two scary women. 

"Are you ready to go home?" Nathaniel asked with a smirk. Everyone knew I was absolutely dying to get out of the stupid hospital. I nodded enthusiastically, making everyone chuckle. 

"Totally. I don't think I could spend another night here without completely losing my mind." I said tiredly. Sure, I was ready to go but that didn't mean that the doctors had stopped pumping me full of pain medication and sleeping medication. 

That being said, I was tired as all get out. 

Nurse Mia strolled into my room, rolled her eyes, and then situated the wheelchair by my bed. I should have been able to scoot into it, but I figured if I scooted anywhere I would start crying from the pain. 

I may have been used to pain, but that didn't mean I wasn't allowed to cry. 

"Come on, hun. We ain't all that bad, now are we?" Nurse Mia asked, snapping the gum in her mouth. I smiled but glanced at the wheelchair awkwardly. I didn't know how to say that I couldn't get into it. 

"Here, Ari. I got you." Gabriel said softly, pulling me up to his chest bridal style. It hurt but it didn't hurt as much as scooting would have. I gave a slight whimper. Kade and Jaydon stepped forward when I whimpered, looking like they wanted to help but not knowing how. 

Once I was sitting, I breathed a sigh of relief. I could almost breathe again. 

Nurse Mia pat my shoulder comfortingly.

"It'll get better, sweetie. Y'all got a wheelchair at home or do you need to rent one?" She asked, her eyes pointed at Lila and father. Lila smiled in amusement. Nurse Mia and Lila had taken to whispering things back and forth about different things they could do to take better care of me. It had gotten irritating after a while. 

Imagine two people staring at you while whispering. Yeah. Weeks like that. 

"Already bought two, and now they're at home. One for downstairs, one for upstairs." She said. My jaw dropped. She had bought two wheelchairs? Those things were expensive. Then again, it was Lila.

"Stairs?" Nurse Mia asked, like the answer wasn't obvious. Kade cleared his throat, causing Nurse Mia to look at him. She grinned when he gestured to all eight of my brothers, all of whom were very much capable of picking me up and totting me places. 

"Already covered. The boys wouldn't dare let Ariel get up for one second." Lila laughed. Everyone chuckled along with her while I went even redder from embarrassment. I wasn't a breakable porcelain doll. 

Quite the opposite. 

"Good. Now, about getting your weight up to a healthy amount..." And Nurse Mia droned on and on about eating. Everyone in the room looked very interested, except my father. He looked distantly interested. Like he was listening to someone tell the same story for the hundredth time. 

I was just thinking about sleeping in my own bed. And somehow, while still sitting in the wheelchair, I felt myself doze off. 

And when I woke up, I could've sworn I was dreaming. 

Because I was finally in my own bed. In my own home.