quarante trois

Mr. and Mrs. Fernsby's surprise would have to wait for later. Tatum and Avery were sent on a mission to give people their presents before the roads became too dangerous with the approaching blizzard that was supposed to snow out Christmas. 

Their first stop was the Chief's house. He lived alone because his ex-wife and daughter lived in Arizona. The family wanted to get him a gift because he was working so hard on Bailey's disappearance. So, they bought him a gift card to the local diner and a sweater that had a police car on it. He gave them a plate of cookies after they gave him his gift.

Then it was a young woman named Irene Reiner. She worked with Mrs. Fernsby at the hospital. She was her assistant nurse, being only nineteen years old and on her own after a car accident took both her parents. The family bought her a fluffy blanket and some new scrubs. The two spent quite a bit of time there, watching a Hallmark movie with her as a way to console her lonely Christmas. They left shortly after.

Their third stop was at the Wendall's home. Tatum wanted this one to be the shortest. Luckily, it was Keith's older sister that answered the door after Avery rang it. She smiled brightly and accepted the gift. They had gotten the family a pack of Christmas movies and Santa hats. The family knew them but didn't particularly like them after what Keith sent to Tatum. Keith's older sister had found the messages and exposed her little brother. As soon as the older sister accepts the gifts, Keith, unfortunately, shows up at the door.

"Can we talk?" he asks, looking at her pleadingly. His sister glares at him and tries shoving him back inside. Avery giggles at the small 'fight'. 

"Last time you said that it didn't end so well."

"Please? Just one minute?" Keith begs her, his face getting smushed by his older sister's hands. Tatum sighs, but nods. His older sister freezes and instantly lets the two in. She takes Avery into the kitchen to sneak some raspberry thumbprint cookies. The other two head to Tatum's car for privacy. She starts the heat back up and they sit there, shivering from the coldness outside. 

"Why did you try to do that?" she asks, breaking the horrifying silence. 

"Say it, Tate, say it. I tried to kiss you. It's just a word."

"Don't call me Tate. Also, why did you try kissing me? You know I don't like you," she says, mentally cringing at how rude her words sounded. 

"Because I thought that if I kissed you, you'd realize how much I like you," Keith says, turning to face her. Tatum didn't want to be in the car. She wanted to go home. 

"Love is a two-person thing, Keith. If one isn't into it then it isn't love," she says, fiddling with her fingers. "I'm sorry, Keith, but I don't feel the same."

"Why can't you just give me a chance?!" Keith shouts, making her flinch. She didn't realize he liked her that much. "I tried kissing you and your bodyguard showed up and growled at me."

"Jasper isn't-"

"Don't FUCKING lie to me!" Keith shouts even louder. Tatum could feel tears swell in her eyes, she didn't like getting yelled at. No one did.

"I'm no-"

"You don't FUCKING LISTEN! I tried warning you, but NO. You said it yourself, LOVE is a TWO-person thing! He's going to leave you in the DAMN SNOW!" Keith shouts even louder. Tears were streaming down her face, but he didn't care. "You're going to get yourself hurt and it'll be all YOUR FUCKING FAULT THAT EVERYONE AROUND YOU IS HURT!"

And suddenly, those tears weren't there anymore.

Instead, there was pain. Not emotional pain, not mental pain; but it was physical pain as Tatum punched Keith's jaw. His eyes water and his jaw popped, but Tatum didn't care. In fact, she kept shoving him out of her car. Avery and the older sister run outside after hearing the car door open and Tatum yelling cuss words at Keith.

"KEITH EUGENE WENDALL JR., YOU BELONG IN HELL YOU SON OF A TARD! YOU HAVE THE BALLS TO SAY THAT BUT CAN'T TAKE WHEN A GIRL REJECTS YOU?! WE ARE LEAVING AND YOU ARE GOING TO LEAVE US ALONE!"

And with that, Tatum buckles Avery in and gets into the driver's seat. She doesn't speed off, she's smarter than that. But, she does flick him off on the way out. 

Finally, after that mess, it was time to stop by the Cullen's. 

●○●