08 | the one in which date one has a reservation

The harsh pitter-patter of the rain had ceased, when the sunset at dusk

The harsh pitter-patter of the rain had ceased, when the sunset at dusk. ‌The temperature had turned alarmingly cold and I was very much aware of the puddles of water lying on the concrete roads. The moment I walked down the steps of the entrance ― that belonged to the hotel ― in my nude high heels, a chilling gush of wind had threatened to fly my dress right up in the face of the camera that was following me behind very closely. Saala madar–!

My heart was beating at an abnormal rate. It didn't help that the dress I was told to wear was made of sheer material, with a little to almost nothing added; just a black silk material to cover my chest and waist from being exposed, helping mine somewhat of modesty I had left. Kis mushkil meh daal Diya bhagwaan! I sighed to myself.

The overall dress was just a tiny one covering my body from my chest to my mid-thighs length, but it was draped with a second layer of a sheer black lace material as it flowed from my off-shoulder sleeves to the graceful layers of frills that fell from my waist too, still below my knee.

This didn't mean that my skin wasn't exposed underneath the black lace. And it definitely didn't prevent the goosebumps I felt ever so often under the cool breeze.

How close was I to being disowned? I could imagine my father's eyes popping out of his head while my mother hissed slurs at me in embarrassment. This was anything but sanskari after all.

I turned around to face the cameraman and his camera, flashing him the bright smile that I had whitened just three hours ago. For the content.

The cameraman nodded at me, throwing me a thumbs up. That was my signal to start.

"Hello, my beautiful audience!" I said, with the most amount of enthusiasm I could achieve. "We've just met, and I'm sure you don't know me; So let me introduce myself to you all. I'm Saloni, aged twenty-two, from the Mumbai suburbs and the new host of this show. I'm sure you're just as excited as I am. I mean, seven dates all in one weekend? How crazy is that?" I paused temporarily then, to run a hand through my hair which I had straightened just a while back; the wind was threatening it back to its original shape, causing me to get nervous. Can I do this?

Yes, you can and you will. Stick to the plan!

"Let me not keep you away from the fun and wild adventures anymore. Let's get this party started. Without further ado, here's to the first date I'm going to!" I made an effort to add a wink at the end of my said introduction and when I'm done the cameraman stops rolling, flicking the flashlight off and switching relief into my veins.

This isn't even the hard part. There was so much more to come.

Just as I practised a few deep breaths, Aahan arrived at the scene. He wasn't dressed up to be a professional. To my surprise, he was dressed in casuals. In nothing but a pair of black skinny jeans that hugged his calf muscles and an oversized indigo t-shirt, accompanied with a pair of rain shoes.