Chapter Twelve [The End of Us]

The mere thought of seeing her again caused my pulse to quicken. My hands were wet with sweat. My heart threatened to burst out of my chest. It made me weak, and I propped my hand against the brick wall as I hesitated in the alley beside her apartment.

I was stupid to think she would want to see me. Just hours earlier, I was at her front door telling her I had lied for the past few months. I let out a heavy sigh and hung my head.

The last lingering light in the alley blinked a couple of times before flickering out and leaving me in total darkness. I was unarmed and defenseless. If another gang happened to walk up on me, it would be an easy kill. I closed my eyes and for a moment, I thought death might be better.

Adrienne was going to be upset. She was going to push me away, but I had to try. I couldn't just let her go. I regained my confidence and took a deep breath to ease the stir of emotions I was experiencing. My jaw locked as I forced myself out onto the sidewalk. I started up the steps to her apartment.

There were two large black guys posted at the top, and I froze in place. One of them sat on the railing and faced her apartment door, while the other leaned against the wall with his dark eyes on me.

I was vulnerable and alone. They could overpower me. She was worth the risk though.

I continued up the stairs, and my breathing became ragged. My breath hung in the air before the cold wind blew it away. Once I reached the top, one of the guys moved in on me and effectively blocked my path to Adrienne's door.

He folded his arms across his chest. "Hey, Joe. Look what we have here." His brown eyes were filled with judgement.

Joe stood to the side and still leaned against the railing. He played with a switchblade. His fingers ran along the edge of the blade. It reminded me of Damen. He smiled and his green eyes looked to my face.

"Ahh. A little punk-ass white boy. What you are doing here, bitch?" he snarled, pure hatred seeping through his voice.

What had I done to him? I didn't remember pissing in someone's Cheerios. "What the fuck did you call me?"

"I said what are you doing here, little bitch," he repeated.

My jaw locked tight. "I suggest you watch who you're talking too. Besides it shouldn't matter to you why I'm here."

The other guy watched me with a smirk on his face. He shoved me against the rail. "Listen here, you little gang banger. We aren't apart of your gang. We have no ties to you, so I suggest you shut the fuck up before you get taught a lesson." He tilted his head. "Matter of fact, why don't you leave before I have to make you," he snarled.

I clenched my fists at my side. My whole body was stiffened and the instinct to fight flooded through me. The gang had taught me to never back down. My blood bubbled with anger. It consumed me as it pulsed through my veins.

Joe chuckled to the side and reached to touch the larger guy's shoulder. "Now, now. Let's try to be adults here. How do you know he's got gang status, Antho?" he asked, raising an eyebrow as he assessed me.

I remained silent.

" I can tell. He's oozing over-exaggerated confidence."

Joe looked me up and down and appeared disappointed.

I stepped between them. "Aight, guys. I didn't mean to intrude on your little party. I am just here to speak to Adrienne. You can can go back to doing whatever the fuck you were before I got here," I replied with a shrug. I was ready to be out of their judgemental stares.