The Enemies

Oden

The vehicle stops with a yelp behind Rhea's back. A tall muscular man stands in the trunk. Fair hair, light grey eyes and grey jacket, nothing like Rhea's.

Eyeing us, he greets her.

'Kid.'

I sense him calculating his next move. They are closer to Gus. But I don't care much about Gus anymore. I want to put a bullet into Rhea's head.

Ozias steps closer, his rifle pointed at them.

'Allow to engage,' I tell him.

'Confirmed.'

Gus smiles at Rhea. Triumphant and proud. From the looks of it, the gripping mechanism of the suit was destroyed and now it clutches Guss's leg in an iron hold not letting him take his leg out. He is unable to run, neither can he get out of it.

'So, Flint, should we check his version of the story, too? Maybe I can get my hands on your expensive toys after all.'

I move forward too, unsure if he is talking about me, my rage forcing me to forget about my aching body.

'Move and I shoot,' I hiss at her.

Rhea doesn't react, she just gazes at me. Her eyes heavy and unreadable.

The man smiles.

'Kid, get into the vehicle.'

The authority in his voice leaves no room for argument. Still, Rhea ignores him. He takes her roughly by the scruff of her neck and throws her into the trunk. Shocked, she coughs loudly and that's when I see her shirt on the back is soaked with blood.

Ozias makes another step forward. And the air rings with tension. With a jolt, the vehicle starts moving towards Guss and stops almost an inch from his nose. His smile vanishes as the big guy pulls him into the trunk with a loud groan.

Instantly Ozias and Don bolt in their direction and open fire.

We are very close now. Rhea and I. My predatory glare states exactly what I plan on doing. I want her dead, but my gun points down. The moment is broken when the man yells at her and the vehicle starts moving from us.

'Hold him, kid.'

Rhea turns to see the man switch off the suit, making it a metal grave for Guss.

I sprint to catch up with them.

The vehicle flies towards the crossroads. The man says something to Rhea but her eyes are locked with mine again. I am already raising my gun to aim at her when she sits down, grabs the sides of the truck and puts her boots on the high-tech. At first, I think she takes cover but then I see her lips move.

She mumbles something. After a second I realize it's one phrase on repeat as she still keeps staring at me.

'Don't shoot. Don't shoot. Don't shoot.'

I already trace her with the laser sight when Rhea shoves Guss towards the end of the trunk. The suit is too heavy and moves unwillingly. Noticing my puzzled look, she smiles at me, her face in blood, hair disheveled. The rebel burns in her gaze as if it were the same Rhea from that night. Beyond my fury and loathing, there is still that unfathomable feeling.

What the hell?

'What is she doing?' Ozias's question echos my thoughts.

Our eyes meet again and Rhea chuckles darkly.

'Kid, stop.'

I hear the man roar at her as I sprint faster ignoring the excruciating pain in my stomach. He can't do anything about her as he returns fire to cover their retreat.