30

Black.

Space.

She felt nothing; a lucidly dark dream.

She could hear whispers of conversations, voices flirting with her ear. She could recognize some of them: Ethan, Owen, Jonathan, Connor, the lady next door, Ahmed.

Phantom emotions began pulling her heart, yet for the most part she felt nothing; nothing except the calm, calm, serene embrace of the dark. The cold emptiness kissed her ear.

This was nice, it really was; nobody to worry about... nothing to think about... She wished she could stay.

Suddenly, there came a light; a distant dot ripping through the calm; searing and harsh, rippling and cutting through the ink, blazing against the dark.

It spread, the tendrils of light, hissing with energy, speeding towards her; cracks in space. It approached her, called her; flashes of reality visible through. She felt vexed.

Riley didn't want to wake up, until she did.

"Riley, wake up!" her vision was dark, yet those were the first things her conscious mind could hear; Olivia. her voice was distant, yet she felt her hand on her shoulder.

Riley gasped for air, each breath yanking her closer to reality, until she was back on board the Resilience, her body dripping from the cryo. Other than the two of them, the rest of the Sickbay was abandoned.

"Steady..." she spoke softly. "That's it..." Olivia flashed her a small smile. "You better get ready; we're here."

Riley croaked back a response. "Where?" The nausea was making her cranky.

Olivia gave her a look which Riley thought was part dread, part excitement.

"Mars."