twelve - how it started

Homecoming.

Every high school students favorite week. Dress up themes through out the week, a dance on Saturday, but most importantly ... the football game.

Brooke was a junior, trying to prove to the cheer coaches that she should be the head cheerleader next year.

On top of that, she wanted to ask quarterback, Luke Holbrook, to the homecoming dance. 

The dance was tomorrow, Brooke already had her yellow dress hanging on he closet door where her uniform typically hung.

"Honey! You gotta get going! You're gonna be late!" Her mother called from downstairs. Brooke sighed, picking up her back pack and heading down the stairs. "Now, are you finally gonna ask that cute boy to the dance yet?" 

"Mom." Brooke whined, grabbing an apple from the basket on the counter. "He has like, a hundred other girls asking him and he keeps saying no. He clearly does not want to go." She huffed.

"Just go for it honey! You want to graduate regretting this?" Brooke paused for a moment. 

"Yup!" She smiled. "Bye see you later." She kissed her mom's cheek before walking out to her white jeep. 

Brooke got to school and pulled into one of the remaining spots in the student lot. 

Outside, all the couples were planning their night. Showing pictures of their dresses, looking up hair dos on pinterest, and double checking dinner reservations. 

Brooke huffed, walking to her locker.

"Hey!" Becca smiled coming up to her with a wide smile. "You find a date yet?"

"No. I really want to go with Luke but he-he has been rejecting girls left and right and I don't want to be the 30th girl he rejects."

"Just go for it B! Do you really want to graduate with this regret?"

"Okay mom! Jesus did you call her before coming here?" Brooke asked, looking at her high pony in her locker mirror. 

"Not this time. But seriously, you look hot in your uniform he can't possibly say no!" Becca grabbed her hand.

"Becs, what are you doing?"

"I'm doing you a favor. Thank me later." Becca pulled her through the hall, until her eyes landed on the group of jocks in their jersey's.

"Becca no. Not in front of his friends that's humiliating!" She tried to stop and pull out of her grip.

"Quit being a pussy." Becca snapped. "Hey Luke!" All of their heads snapped over at the two girls.

"Hey Gleb, what's up?" Luke asked.

"My bestie Brooke here has something to ask you." 

"No I don't! I'm sorry about her, she's not all there." She whispered pointing at Becca. "I have to put my hair up!"

"You're hair is already up, B." Becca said.

"Fine then. I uh, need to leave. Yeah just leave." 

"Brooklyn Mae Danielson." Becca grabbed her friends hand again. Brooke huffed and turned around.

"Look. I totally get if you don't want to go because, I bet you're busy or something um. Plus like so many pretty girls have asked you and the game is tonight and we both have-"

"Spit it out Brooke." Becca coughed.

"Will you got to homecoming with me?" She asked the much taller boy.

"Yes." He smiled.

"See Becs I told you- wait what?" Brooke smiled wide.

"I'll pick you up at six. What color is the dress?"