Part 17

I awoke with a start as something dripped on my forehead. Looking up I spotted a dark grey sky through the twisted branches of the tree. I knew not of how long I'd been asleep but surely a storm was approaching. I felt a sudden urge to run back to the manor but I knew I could not. Besides, my beloved husband had a certain guest whom I was certain did not wish to be interrupted. The dripping rain seemed to be picking up its pace by the second and I quickly scurried to my feet. I'd never been one to mind walking in the rain but then again, I would always end up with a cold afterwards which didn't really sound like the best option for a woman with child. I hurried across the fields towards a stone dwelling a couple of acres away. As if the rain wasn't cruel enough, cold wind started blowing all around me, making it even harder for me to walk without stumbling every few steps. Thunder roared as black clouds rolled in the sky overhead.

By the time I'd arrived at the doorstep, the pouring rain had left me drenched from head to toe. I was exhausted. With the little energy I had left  I slammed my palm against the wood door and dropped to my knees onto the cold and muddy porch.

Just after a few seconds, the door flew open and out walked a young maiden dressed in a simple tunic and grey apron dusted with flour.

"Oh dear." she gasped as soon as she saw me.

"Papa!" she called from inside the house. "Papa! Come quickly!"

"What's the matter Sue?"said a masculine voice from inside the house.

"A young lady got caught in the storm. We have to help her inside." replied the girl. The girl's father was very tall and pot-bellied. He had little hair on his head but grew a long beard for compensation.

"Very well." he agreed after seeing me in such a poor state. He offered me his hand and helped me stand up and walk inside.

My very generous rescuers were indeed part of a larger family. In all, a family of eight people resided in this abode. The man of the house, Abraham Walter; the man who had helped me inside, resided along with his wife, Patricia Walter and their six children; Franklin Walter, Amber Walter, George Walter, Thomas Walter, William Walter and Sue Walter; the youngest who discovered me on the porch.

"Some soup dear?" asked Patricia as she sat on a stool beside the armcahir on which I lay to rest.

"That sounds lovely..." I murmured as she handed me a bowl and spoon.  The soup was warm and bursting with flavour.

"This tastes delicious Mrs.Walter."

"My eldest daughter, Amber, made it. She has a talent for cooking." the mother boasted.

"Indeed." I smiled. "You have quite a family."

"Yes, I always wanted to have a large family. It keeps things interesting."

"Yes." I sighed as I thought of my sisters back home.

"Speaking of family... do you have a family or relative we could send for?"

I stopped eating and bit my tongue so as not to reveal my origins. If anyone found out I was the daughter of the Earl they would send me home and father would hang me for it. If anyone found out I was the Countess Calairvolt, they would inform Jonathan and I could not face him.

"I have no one." I claimed, lying straight to the elderly woman's face.

"Ah, poor creature. You stay here as long as necessary. We will find something for you to do."

"That is very kind of you."I smiled as I ate another spoonful of soup. The woman had bought my fib.

"Do you cook or sew by any chance?"

"I have never really tried to cook or sew. " I left out anything related to my knowledge of writing, dancing and riding.

"Truly?" asked the woman looking shocked.

"Well, we can always teach her." said Sue as she walked into the room and sat beside me.

"That would be very kind of you." I said.

"My husband and sons have all retired for the evening. Myself and my daughters will soon too. Would you mind sleeping down here on the couch? I can lend you a warm quilt to keep you warm."

"Not at all. Thank you for taking me in." I said. Sue returned with a hand-knitted quilt which I wrapped around me before drifting off to sleep in the candlelight.

***

"The post has arrived." Sue squealed as she entered the room with an envelope in her hand.

"It's a shame we won't know what's inside till Franklin or George get home." Amber sighed as she rested her palms on the table.

"Why?" I asked.

"You must love to joke Cheryl." Amber giggled. Cheryl was the name I'd introduced myself as so that it would decrease the chance of anyone finding me.

"We, as all other girls,  cannot read." Sue explained.

"Oh I can help with that." I said as I quickly picked up the letter. 

"You can?" the girls gasped simultaneously.

"Of course." I added as I unfolded the paper. 
"Mr. Walter,

This letter is to declare that I have received your full payment for last month's wood supply.

Yours faithfully,
Mr. O. Barkley"

"That's it?" Sue whined in protest.

"I'm afraid so."

"I hate it when all the letters are about father's business payments." Sue grumbled.

"What are you complaining about again?" Mrs. Walter asked as she walked into the room with the dirty laundry draped over her arm.

"All the letters we get are for father."

"How would you know?" Mrs. Walter asked her daughter.

"Because Cheryl can read and she read the letter to us." Amber added.

"Oh really? You must have quite an education."

"It is quite easy to learn." I said hoping to continue feeding the lie I had started. "I can teach you if you like."