Chapter 2

ONE YEAR AGO

I woke up to the sound of hurried whispers coming from downstairs. I was startled for a second because I had grown accustomed to the smell of my mom's home-cooking and the sweet sounds of her singing drifting up from the kitchen. I sat up and realized that I hadn't woken up to those things in a while because Mama has been sick.

I roll out of bed and go downstairs to see what all the fuss is about and I stop in my tracks because I hear an unfamiliar voice. I was expecting to hear the doctor's voice because he comes over every morning to check on Mama but this voice was different. It was hoarse and breathy, like the voice of a chainsmoker whose years of smoking have caught up to them. It had a deep, cutting tone that chilled me to my core. It filled me with a fear that completely consumed me.

The sound of my dad's voice snapped me out of it. I couldn't make out what he was saying so I continued down the stairs to see who he was talking to.

"Good morning, dad." I said as I walked to the side of the kitchen where he stood.

I stop for a second because it seemed like he was facing an empty space and was talking to his shadow. Except, I realized, his shadow had narrower shoulders then he did and was a bit taller. I rubbed my eyes because it was probably really early and I wasn't seeing things clearly. I walked over to the fridge to pour myself a cup of orange juice and my dad whispers a couple more words under his breath and walks upstairs.

When I went to put my cup in the sink, I realized that there was no one in the kitchen with me. Where had my dad's creepy friend gone?

~