Chapter 21

Sansa

Another three drops of essence of nightshade fell into her cup like raindrops. Another gulping of another cup of wine. Another night of night terrors and restlessness. Sansa seemed to forget if it was morning or night.
She had been on these drops for two weeks since her husbands death. She could feel her child moving, but nobody was there to feel as well. Sansa laid in bed all day, scarcely eating. If the servants were lucky, they could shovel a few spoonfuls of the oxtail soup into her mouth. A guard had been placed outside her door, and her windows locked.
Sansa awoke to the usual gnawing hunger. She hadn't changed her beige nightgown since her husband had been murdered.
It was late at night as she crept down the hall, searching for food. She walked into the kitchen to see cooks prepping the meal for tomorrow. The people themselves were delighted to see Sansa, having not seen her in weeks, they offered her a full course meal. From a Dornish cook the meal was prepared. Lamb roasted
on lemon and honey, with rice wrapped in grape leaves with white cheese and flatbread as a side. For desert, a clove and honey wine, sweet honey cakes, and of course lemon bars. Sansa scarfed as much food as she could. A sound behind her halted her eating.
"Do you mind if I join, sister."
Bran wheeled himself to her, looking at the array of foods set in front of her. She said nothing, but gave a curt nod as she took another bite of the filled grape leaf, washing it down with the spiced wine. The servants poured the king a cup, and made him a plate full of the delicious Dornish meal. Bran took a bite of the filled grape leaf.
"I myself didn't eat dinner. I'm so very glad you're here. I've told the servants to take shifts for weeks, Incase you happened to come down hungry."
"Thank you." Sansa whispered, shoving a honey cake into her mouth. The baby must have been happy with the food as well, she could feel it kicking.
"How far along are you?"
"Between four or five months...I don't exactly know when she was produced. My best guess would be our wedding night."
Bran gave a smile.
"Congratulations. It'll be a boy."
Sansa placed a hand on her stomach, feeling her child.
"The name will be Kor Eddard Stark."
"Father would be proud." Bran spoke, smearing the white cheese on the bread, taking a bite.
"I'm sure he would be." Sansa grabbed yet another grape leaf.
"I'm sorry about your husband. I was neglectful to look into the future of how it would effect you if this did happen."
Sansa's throat tightened, as she swallowed the food that remained in her mouth.
"There's nothing that can be done."
"Your birth, it will be easy. No complications."
Sansa gave him a sad smile.
"Thank you. I look forward to when my son will be born. After we defeat the dragon queen I'll return to Winterfell with him."
"She will wait at least six years. She wants her new dragon to grow."
Sansa placed the food down, pushing the plate away for a servant to take.
"I guess I'd best return to Winterfell soon."
"Please stay until your child is born. We have cooks from every region making dishes. You'd be safer here."
Sansa nodded, as a servant took her plate.
"I'll stay until he's born."