Chapter 64: Nice Guys Don't Like Games

So sometimes I have a song in mind when I write a chapter, but this is the situation where I wrote this chapter, then heard this song during the course of the day, and immediately recognized the similarities ...how much the imagery of the song matches some of the elements of the chapter--how Adam wishes Mac would take her sunglasses off so he can "steal a glimpse from her eyes", how he feels about the games, how he's feeling about her claiming her "half" without considering their "whole"...it's really eerie, almost. Many might not recognize this old-school Alt Rock band  but The Connells were very popular for a while in the college scene of the SouthEast of the USA. They put out many albums on indepenent labes, and toured clubs and small festivals relentlessly,  one of those bands who worked hard but never really got the big break ....now they all  older and work day jobs. Real estate, lawyers, stuff like that. Not every band that has great music makes it big.

Oh, speaking of Bands that haven't made it big...introducing Strut...

introducing Strut

Adam

I'm leaning over the stadium soundboard with Trace and Andy. The Strut girls are rocking the stage in this currently empty stadium, but I'm watching Mac who is stalking the empty pit, looking sexy as hell in black leather booty shorts and a bra, overlayed with a see-through crop-top covered in stars. Somehow she and Tamara have chosen an outfit that has minimized her baby bump but is highlighting all new curves. She's my wife and I fucking love her for so many reasons, but right now it's hard to remember any of them except her fucking fine ass and her tight, plump rack, her newly updated, flaming red hair and her pouty petal pink lips.

Goddamn, I'm the luckiest man alive. My wife is a cross between a rock 'n roll witch, a Brazilian Festival dancer and a fertility goddess.

She's also braceleted, balyaged, sunglassed, and fully-styled, looking like it's go-time for a to-be-recorded performance, when in fact it's way early—not even our own sound-check yet. Normally, we'd be running a little press or having the morning off, but we've all embraced Strut like family, so we are here to support their final run-through, giving all the technical and performance advice we can.

Mac turns toward the stadium sound booth, giving a signal to turn down the mics on Sadie and Harper. I was thinking the same thing. Row's voice is sultry and understated like Trace's but it's also the show-shiner—her vocal color, and the attitude she puts behind it. I point it out to Andy, and we dial it back, both feeling the sweet spot at just the same moment that Mac hauls a thumbs up into the air and Leed gives an approving nod from where he sits atop a roadie case above a feedback monitor.

Bodie is on stage with the roadies, shouting over their song about the adjustments to the kit for Chili, the Strut drummer who will share his same basic set-up while they tour for us. Bodie likes to sit low on his kit to vibe on the bass drum, but Chili needs to be a little higher with her snares tipped a little more to get the power she likes. She asked him if she could make the adjustments and he helped her angle the drums in their stands himself.