XX

XX: unexpected alliance.

"Callista." an old womans voice whispered, almost lovingly.

A young girl, around the age of twelve looked up to the cell with fury in her eyes.

"I wont be a disappointment like you." the girl murmured angrily, "Dad said you were a disappointment."

With a final glance at the woman, the young girl turned on her heels and walked out with power in her strides and her head held high. Her mother, in the cell behind her, reached out with a pained cry. The facial expression on her face was simple impossible to fake, but Callista Snow believed otherwise.

•••

I shot up with a harsh gasp, almost like I had been held under water for hours. My eyes darted around for any sign of danger, but finding none my head seemed to let the memories pour back in.

The mines. Katniss Everdeen. Pain. Someones arms around me.

The trees surrounding me glimmered softly in the sun light, flowers protruding from the roots of the trees and dotted along the flowy grass. The warmth of the sun heated up my skin, I almost basked in it. Was I in heaven?

That question was quickly answered as a thumping pain shot sharply through my head. I winced, bringing a hand up to the back of my head. My back ached and stung, my ears still ringing quietly.

From beside me, a soft—almost taunting chuckle overrided the gentle ringing in my ears. I turned my head quickly, regretting it as the dizziness washed over me, and my eyes landed on Clove Kentwell.

I was not in heaven.

The darkhaired girl sat on the grassy floor beside me, sharpening a knife. That was ever so slightly terrifying. Why hadnt she killed me?

"Dont ask questions." Clove grumbled, "We're on the same side now."

I blinked. What.

"What about Cato? Marvel?" I asked weakly, my voice hoarse.

"You dont listen." Clove looked up with a pointed expression, aimed at the fact I asked questions when she said not to. I just gave her a weak shrug, the pain soaring throughout my body.

"I betrayed them when I took you." She explained, rolling her eyes, "You're stronger than them anyway. Plus, Marvels dead."

I raised my eyebrows. Cato was the only one left beside Clove, but for now she was on my side.

I turned my body to sit up on my own, facing Clove. But, immediately I regretted it. A harsh pain furrowed in my back, and I brought a hand to it. When I pulled it back, blood stained my fingers,

"Youll be fine." Clove muttered, shaking a tub of medicine in her hand, "Isnt the almighty instant fix one, but it works."

I chewed my lip in thought. Clove hadnt changed much, her sarcasm and passive aggressiveness was still on point. But, she had taken me on her side—even though I was weak. I took the medicine from Cloves hand with a thankful glance, applying it where needs be. After a while, the pain soothed. I sat with my head in my hands for a while.

Clove Kentwell and Callista Snow, two particularly firey tributes finally allied. I wondered if my mentor was proud, or disappointed. I wondered what Cloves mentors would think, knowing Clove was sneaky and smart I knew I had to be careful with this alliance. My hand made my way unconsciously to my waistband, where my knives were. But the holes I held them in were empty.

"Where are my knives?" I asked, my head shooting up to look frantically at Clove. Was this her plan? to corner me with no weapons and kill me slowly.

"Over there." Clove mumbled, her tilted head jabbing toward the left. I looked over, finding my decorated knife and my throwing knives safely on top of my backpack. I let out a relieved sigh.

"So you arent going to kill me?" I raised my eyebrows, walking over slowly to my knives. My pain was soothing, but it was still there.

"Not yet." Clove warned, "You and I. We're friends now."

I grinned, letting out a breathy chuckle, "Friends? Thats a weird one from clove kentwell."

Clove stood from her seat, walking over to me slowly. I gulped quietly, why do I always go too far. Clove steps were predatory, slow, cautious as I backed myself into a tree. Shit.

Clove didnt stop until her breath tickled my nose, "Rethink your words, Princess. By the looks of you, I could kill you without a second glance."

I nodded profusely, "Okay." I whispered, "Sorry."

Clove trailed her lip along her tongue, nodding. Happy with my response, she backed away. I followed, sitting down near her cautiously as i played with my knife anxiously.

"Attention, Tributes. Attention."

My eyes met Cloves in a confused glance, the two of us listening to the gamemakers voice.

"The regulations requiring a single victor have been suspended."

My breath hitched in my throat, my grip tightening on my blade,

"From now on, two victors may be crowned if both originate from the same district. This will be the only announcement."

I gulped, knowing Clove would run back to Cato instantly. My eyes wearily landed on her, but she didnt move. Her muscles were tense, her eyebrows furrowed in thought,

"Im not leaving you." Clove announced, standing. My jaw tensed as her hand flung out toward me, I gave a shaky breath and joined my hand with hers. She pulled me up,

"But if i have to, youll be dead before you know it." Clove warned, and I gave a gentle nod.

"Thank you." I mumbled.

The pair of us walked through the forest for a while, collecting food and water. All we had to do now was wait, strengthen ourselves, and win. Well, one of us will win.

My tunnel vision on winning grew immensely weaker over the past few days, and I knew Clove would betray me to join with Cato at the first sign of danger.

I was realising now, that I didnt have anyone back at home. Nobody real. No true love, no boyfriend, no loving father-daughter relationship or even a mother to say hello to. I had to live alongside the fake citizens of the Capitol, and now I had to ally with the fake tributes of The Hunger Games.

I wasnt going to win.

I have nobody to win for.

A/N: theres foreshadowing in like the first or second chapter for the next chapter. hehehhehehe.