Chapter 28

Darkness....

It's all I can see. It captures me in its vile clutches as I'm in a place of utter pain. Except, I'm numb. I don't feel anything. Physical or emotional. I suddenly hear a soft voice coming from the endless darkness, saying "Save him. Trust in the King, and save him." The only thing I can feel is loneliness with the smell of biscuits.... Wait, biscuits?

I immediately open my eyes with the smell of the heavenly glories fresh in my nostrils. The room is extremely blurry, with the sun leaking from the window onto my face, making me almost blind. I groggily moan as I try to focus my eyes again, attempting to move my head out of the sun.

Soon I see a tall figure walk up to me, saying "Sweetie, she's awake!"

It sounds like... Jack's voice! I must've passed out in front of their house.

"Jack, I told you to close that window! It's too bright for her right now." Mincy yells at Jack, placing a warm towel over my head, the sweet smell of lavender instantly radiating from it.

"Sshh, don't worry sweetie pie."

She sits on the couch, where I am apparently settled.

My eyes finally focus, seeing Mincy with her curly black hair in a bun with a lemon yellow bandanna to match her yellow polka dot dress. She has some biscuits neatly placed on a plate, which explains the smell.

"Haha, I knew these would wake you up!" She says, handing one to me.

"How long was I out?" I ask, my voice practically gone as I drape my hand over my face.

"Well when we found you passed out in front of the house, it was very late at night. It's 11 AM now, so you've been out for a few hours," She explains, lifting my arm to put an anointment on my burn.

It runs down my forearm, almost reaching my wrist. It was a light red last night, but now it's a very dark red with scabs to match.

"11 AM?!" I exclaim, jumping up from the couch in a panic.

"Woah woah woah, you're not going anywhere, young lady! You need to rest!"

"I can't rest now, Mincy! Fredrick's in trouble!"

I have this weird gut feeling that the Queen's planning something big, something bad. I just don't know what yet. The voice said to save him... Why? Whatever it is, I have to find out before it's too late.

"Sweetie, what are you going to do? Do you not see what that foul woman did to you? Who knows what she's going to do next!"

I pause for a moment, taking in what she had just said.

"How did you know she did this?"

"Vicky came over last night to tell us. She filled us in about why this is happening and what happened last night."

"Mincy, I've never cared for someone as much as I care for Fredrick. I won't be able to live with myself, knowing that he could be in trouble because of me. I need to fix this. I know that my parents wouldn't want this."

My heart swells at the mention of my parents, knowing that they are looking down on me to do the right thing.

"Well, the wedding starts in a couple hours, so you better get going." Jack says with a smile on his face.

"You're encouraging this?" Mincy questions with shock present in her voice.

"I know that she can do it. I believe in her" He says, putting his large hand on her shoulder.

She nods with tears clouding her eyes, looking deeply into mine.

"Be careful," She embraces me tightly, with Jack joining the sentimental hug.