Chapter 17

"Oh! Um, hello, Prince Fredrick!" I say sheepishly, playing with the hem of my shawl.

"Lily, I told you that you could call me Fredrick." He says with a smile.

"I apologize," I shamefully say.

His smile becomes a smirk as he pats the vacant spot next to him.

"Come, sit."

I do as he says and make myself comfortable. It hurts to sit, but I push through the pain and do it anyway, much to my body's dismay.

"Are you okay?" He asks, confusion and concern filling his voice.

"I'm fine! I've just had a lot of work today. As a result, my body now hates me." These fibs hurt with every ounce of my being, but I have to. I can't tell him.

"Aw, I'm sorry." He frowns at the thought, giving me a sympathetic look. I repay with a smile as a blush creeps up to my face.

He then thoughtfully looks outside with longing reflecting in his eyes. Should I ask if he's okay? Would that be out of line? But, I have to know. It worries me to see him like this. "Prin- I mean, Fredrick, are you okay?"

He turns his head toward me me with a tilt of his eyebrow.

"I mean, you don't have to tell me! I just noticed that you weren't yourself today." He looks into my eyes for a small moment, a knowing smile stretching across his face.

"I'm just a bit stressed, is all." Are you sure? "You're not too convinced, are you?" I smile and shake my head. He lets out a deep sigh, looking out the large window to the distant city behind the garden.

"I'm really nervous, Lily. In just two weeks, I will be married to someone that I barely even know. I was supposed to give something special to her, but I couldn't. Something inside of me stopped me from giving it to her... My mother is going to be furious with me once she realizes. And I'm going to have a kingdom to take care of. The people of Scadia will depend on me to take care of them. What if I let them down?"

I take in his words, mentally studying each sentence. "Fredrick, you shouldn't worry about letting anyone down. You're going to make a great king! You have all the qualities of one! You're kind, compassionate, strong, thoughtful,-" Oh no, I'm rambling! I look over at Fredrick to see a slightly shocked look on his face. "Well, you get the picture... And the situation with Lady Adora. You should give it some time. I'm sure you'll warm up to her eventually!" Why is it that the moment I spoke those words, I felt a sharp pain in my chest?

"Thank you, Lily. That truly means a lot to me. I haven't had anyone to share this with."

"Of course! I will always be here when you need me." Literally, because I live here.

His face begins to beam at a realization, as he looks straight at me. "Come with me!" He suddenly says, grabbing my wrist.

"Where are we going?" I curiously ask.

"You'll see,"

With that, he drags me through multiple hallways until we end up at a wooden door that is probably older than the queen herself. The nails are rusted to their core, as well as the once silver handle. The old wood looks like it could crumble into little pieces if you accidentally nick it. Fredrick slowly opens the creaking door, bringing me inside. He turns on a gas lamp that is beside the door, revealing a compact room filled with the smell of old wood. The contents this room has are amazing. Every corner is filled with old clocks and wooden carvings.

"What is this place?" I ask in pure wonder.

"I honestly don't know. I found it about a year ago. I've visited this room many times to admire these beautiful heirlooms. Something about them draws me in," It's interesting how I've never come across this room before. Which is strange, because I thought I'd been every where in the castle.

I walk around the tables full of wood carvings, taking in the hard work it took to make these pieces. Some were the symbol for Scadia, which is a golden lion on a purple flag. Many were hearts with a carving of a beautiful woman. As I gawk at all the beautiful pieces of art, I physically stop at one imparticular. It was the reoccurring woman with a pregnant stomach. In her stomach was carved a baby, which was warmly curled in a sweet position. An out-of-nowhere tear comes to my eye, making its way down my cheek.

"Who made these?" I quietly ask.

"I'm not sure." He responds.

What's happening to me? Why do I feel so much? Why am I crying? I stumble back, accidentally crashing into a large clock with a small heart in the center. I start to breathe heavily, the room starts to spin, and I feel my heart start to clench.

"Lily!" Fredrick cries, grabbing my shoulders.

He guides me out of the room, locking the door shut.

"What's wrong?" He desperately asks, searching deep into my eyes.

"I... don't, know..." I utter, looking into his dominant green eyes.

He then embraces me in his warm arms, wrapping me in an unexplainable feeling of warmth.

"What is this?" I've never received one of these from anyone else but Vicky. It must be a trick. No one would ever do this for me. No one cares enough.

"A hug to make you feel better." He whispers softly into my ear, sending my heart a flutter.

All my life, I've been over looked by everyone I've come across. I've had tears falling down my face and no one had ever noticed. No one has ever cared so much as to give me a 'feel better hug'.

I then slowly raise my hands up and start to hug him back, giving him a feel better hug in return. With my face nuzzled into his chest, I utter as quiet as a mouse,

"Thank you"

Author's Note:

What up, Lovelies? I hope y'all enjoyed this week's chapter! If you liked it, don't be shy to comment and vote!

 As always, remember that you are absolutely lovely, and to not let anyone tell you otherwise!

~Love