18. Escape

The walk inside wasn't the easiest. Mellac tripped several times and hissed once, scaring a tiny girl carrying a dolphin balloon and walking a few steps behind her parents. He quickly ducked inside the open gates, ignoring the ticket counter with his focus completely set on remembering the directions he had been told. His gaze roved over the loud humans ducking in and around him. Excited faces were most prominent on the ones moving toward the exhibit, but coming away from it, disappointment was clearly pronounced. Any of the humans that tried to look at him, likely because he was openly staring, got a death-glare in response, thankfully keeping attention off himself well enough to make his way through the park without issue.

Well, that was until he saw an ice cream stand a few yards away from where his brother was being held. He paused, neck gills flaring slightly in excitement, remembering the cold human treat. He began to walk toward the stand but quickly snapped himself out of it when he heard a tired bark coming from an open door a good ways off the public trail.

Immediately Mellac hopped over the rope and onto the path, which led to the employee-only area, and followed it hastily. He could hear his brother barking almost nonstop now, something he usually only did when an animal had a hold of him or he was stuck in a coral patch or cave. It took him only seconds to make it to the gray building he'd previously been locked in. Right before walking inside, though, he noticed a large gun sitting against the side of the building, hidden behind a large tree so the public couldn't see it. He picked up the weapon, holding it just like the woman had previously. No, he wasn't sure how to fire it, but hopefully it was a big enough threat to get his brother out. Mellac licked his dry lips, tasting salt. He needed to get back to the ocean soon or risked dehydration like his brother, but that wasn't what was important right then. Taking a deep breath, he stepped up into the keeper area and hissed, drawing the attention of the curator, one of her two guards, and a man in a white coat.

"Get away from my brother. Now."

Mellac lifted the gun, pointing it right at the guard. He saw the gun on the man's waist and knew he was the one the weapon needed to be focused on.

"I said. Get. Away. From. Him. Now!"

The man in the white coat quickly tucked three empty syringes into his pocket before scampering into the corner where the curator and her guard were now standing.

"Callem?" Mellac questioned without looking in his brother's direction. Callem whined but pushed himself up, raising his bound wrists to tear at the rope they'd used. His serrated teeth made easy work of it, freeing his hands so they could help him get to his feet. It was obvious to Mellac that his brother was in far worse condition than himself and needed out of there now.

"Callem, here. Put these on."

His brother did as told, quickly pulling on the pair of black shorts and white shirt that Mellac tossed him from the bag he'd been carrying. Callem did seem a little dizzy, though, wobbling on his feet while trying to pull the clothing on.

"Why is my brother having trouble standing correctly?"

"We gave him the immunizations he needed." The man in the white coat answered quietly.

"What?"

"Shots... so he doesn't get sick. It's standard procedure."

Mellac hissed, drawing flinches from all three humans in the corner.

"The shots may make him dizzy and possibly throw up, but they shouldn't cause anything worse than that," the curator stammered.

"Nothing worse? Losing water in the state he is in could mean death!" His brother could not afford to throw up.