thirty-two

Come morning Kakashi felt like a new man. He roused in a mild state of discomfort, squinting his eye at the anorexic ray of sunlight peeking out from behind the curtain at the foot of the bed. Today was the first day in a while that he had awoken after the sun and free of sleep weighing his figure down. On the contrary he felt more alive than ever. Shivers traced through his neck and shoulders, relaxing his initial unease of waking up somewhere that was not his own apartment.

The source of the sensation lay just in front of him ; Hanae was still asleep, hushed whimpers escaping from her dreams and into his chin. She had wound her arm around his shoulder, fingers tracing through his hair, massaging imaginary lines into his scalp. He sighed at the feeling. Even deep in slumber she managed to care for him, managed to prove that she was real and really in front of him. Her compassion was overpowering and only proved to him that she was not only too good for him but too good for the world they occupied ; the world that had punished him endlessly was now offering an apology.

He raised the arm that laid across her hip and brushed a stray strand of hair away from her face. Kakashi wanted to see everything ; the peek of her teeth between parted lips, the slight movement of her eyes beneath the lids, the faint scar lining her left cheekbone. He memorized it all. Every pore, every blemish scar, every hint of a forming freckle. Everything. He took it all in, relishing the sight with a gentle expression.

And as he did, the memories of the previous night came flooding back. The tussle, the argument, the confession. The kiss. It made him blush in embarrassment. Kakashi was not experienced romantically - in fact the closest he had gotten to a true romance was through the novels resting on his allotted desk. One night stands had been had in his younger days, back when he was more loathing and sought out the physical over the sentimental. But this was different, this feeling lingered heavily even into the morning. It was so foreign yet so welcoming.

Today was a day of firsts. The first day in a while that he had woken up after the sun. The first day in a while that he had slept through the night without sleeping pills. The first day in a while that he had been awoken by something other than a violating nightmare. The first day in a while that he was happy to wake up to face another day. The first day in a while he had woken up without regret weighing down on his chest.

In weird way, he almost missed it, missed the pressure and shortness of breath. So he made do. As carefully as he could Kakashi shifted onto his back, groaning at the dull ache resonating in his spine. That throw had done a real number on him and the sleeping position hadn't helped much. But pulling Hanae onto his chest, he couldn't be mad at her, not when she looked so peaceful. The peace was brief ; try as he might the movement had woken her up evident by her raspy groan.

"Five more minutes, Dad," she murmured, pushing her face into the mask laid loosely around his neck.

The man chuckled. "Daddy," he corrected softly and began petting her hair.

"Five more minutes, Daddy."

Ugh, what had he done? He flushed again as perverse thoughts began invading his mind. Fantasies were one thing and reading smut was another, but having someone give in to the perversion? It was going to drive him mad. Kakashi groaned and laid a cold hand to his forehead.

Hanae smirked from his chest. She turned her head so that the point of her chin rested on his sternum, finally sliding her eyes open. "I know I said I wanted to wake up to your face, but what did I do to deserve this?" The woman questioned coyly in reference to his reddened features.

Kakashi turned his head to the side, avoiding her gaze. The action pulled a honeyed laugh from the woman. She leaned up, gently turning his face back to her and planting a chaste kiss to his lips. His lips chased hers as she pulled away. "You're taking this very fast, Kakashi," she teased him with the familiar phrase, hovering above him on hands pressed into the mattress on either side of his shoulders.

A playful shriek filled the room as he flipped her onto her back. Hanae's giggle was cut off when the jounin reclaimed her lips. He settled between her legs and pulled her thighs up around his waist. Her heels pressed into the backs of his thighs as the make out became more heated. Hands began wandering, gripping loose clothing and hair as their breaths became heavier.

He pulled away, lips wet with their saliva and eye heavily lidded. "Minx," the man panted accusatorily.

She laughed breathlessly from her pinned position, resting her forearms on his broad shoulders. He kissed the tender skin readily accessible. "Don't get mad at me, you're the one who made me call you Daddy." The title brought another rumbling groan from him. "Or would you prefer sensei?"

"Stop," he drawled.

Hanae giggled again, "when I'm having so much fun? It's those Icha Icha books, I swear." She pulled him down and pressed her lips to the bottom half of his scar, "and this gorgeous face of yours, of course."

It was such a simple action, a small touch that welled so much feeling within him. Kakashi felt weak when faced with such a strong desire. It wasn't just a desire for her body or her touch, it was a desire for everything that was Hanae. The warmth, the adoration, the harmony that made up every part of the woman.

The months spent in proximity had awakened a part of him he didn't know he had. Suddenly he craved the contact he had shied away from, wanted to hear the words that used to make him cringe. He could joke all he wanted and deny it to his death but Kakashi knew the reason : love had made him weak in the best possible way. He was physically strong because of what he had grown up without, tirelessly training and destroying his body in hopes of ignoring the pain of being raised without affection. And now so deep in the throngs of infatuation, the shinobi was experiencing a new pain, one so foreign he didn't know how to react.

Love was so overwhelming. It was utterly indescribable, so heavy and hard to contain. Is this how Hanae always felt? Is this why she was so quick to laugh and cry, so quick to emote with with slightest stimuli? Why she was able to sow passion so effortlessly into every aspect of her life? He didn't understand how something so small could have such an immense impact, couldn't fathom how she was able to live with the overpowering emotion filling every facet of her being. Hanae was so strong. Stronger than him. And it only made Kakashi love her more.

He leaned in and peppered her face with kisses. Her laughter was music to his ears and only fueled the action more. Most of the pecks were fleeting while some lingered but each was just was warm as the last. "Is that your way of telling me we need to reenact a couple of chapters?"

Hanae cupped his wandering cheeks and pulled him in for another long smooch. "Later," she replied, releasing him and lightly pushing him away by his shoulders. "We have a war to prepare for first."

Kakashi groaned but rolled off of her, flopping onto his back on the other side of the bed. "Fine," he lamented. The pale haired man replaced his mask in an effort to keep himself from giving into his desire again. Hanae's whine turned into a shriek as he stood and picked her up off of the bed, setting her on her feet in front of him. "I'd say see you later, but I get the feeling you'll be back tonight."

She arched an eyebrow, tilting her head playfully, "I mean, I can just move in if that works better for you."

The query was answered with a shrug, "it would save rooms. And get us ready for that married life you love talking about."

His suggestion caused a faint blush to dust her cheeks. Hanae looked down, cupping her cheek with a hand. She couldn't believe the change she had experienced in him after so little time. The shinobi hadn't just opened up, he had completely welcomed her into all aspects of his life, no matter how shitty he described it to be. It was such a little things that sent her over the moon. Maybe she would have to rough him up more often.

She met his curious gaze with a beaming smile, "sounds like a plan."