Chapter Seven

It took 15 minutes of walking aimlessly around town before Sadie found the jail. It was a plain, medium sized stone building. A guard stood at the door, looking quite intimidating holding a...sword? Gulping, Sadie approached him slowly.

"Uh, hi, sir," she said timidly. The guard looked down at her, his eyebrow raised. Then he looked back up and stared straight ahead.

"I am not interested." He said firmly. Sadie raised an eyebrow.

"Uh, excuse me?" She asked, confused.

The man sighed and shifted slightly, his chain mail armor rattling loudly. "Normally, I would oblige, but you can see that I am working. Perhaps afterwards?" He suggested.

Sadie thought hard, trying to imagine what he was talking about. Coming up with nothing, Sadie frowned up at him. "Um, I think you have me confused with someone else." she said.

The man laughed and shook his head. "I think not. I know who you are." he said.

Sadie raised an eyebrow. "And...who am I, exactly?" She asked.

The man shrugged. "A concubine." he said simply. Sadie's mouth dropped open, and then she glared at the man.

"I am not a concubine!" She cried, and stomped away. She marched over to a wagon full of hay and stood beside it, thinking.

"Sadie?" A soft voice asked. Sadie whirled around.

"Ella!" She cried in surprise. "What are you doing here?" She asked. Ella held up a basket full of vegetables.

"Shopping. I go into town every day, for one reason or another." She said, sighing sadly.

"Sorry," Sadie said, adjusting her backpack. Ella smiled, shaking her head.

"It's quite alright. I want to help people. If my destiny is helping my stepmother, then so be it," She said respectably, holding her head high. Sadie admired that. "So," Ella continued, "Where is your Noah?" She asked.

Sadie frowned. "My Noah?" She asked.

"You are together, are you not?" Ella asked, tilting her head innocently.

Sadie coughed, shaking her head furiously. "Not!" She cried. "I mean, we are not. Together. Just friends. Hardly that, actually." She clarified. Ella nodded slowly, seeming confused.

"I see."

Sadie nodded. "He is in trouble, though," She continued.

Ella gasped, a little too dramatically in Sadie's opinion. Movies. "Trouble? Of what sort?" She cried.

"I think he's in jail," Sadie explained. "For stealing."

"A thief!" Ella cried even louder. "How horrible." She wailed, as if someone had died.

Sadie eyed her. "Yeahhh, so, I don't mean to leave you here, but I need to go rescue him." She said.

"I can help!" Ella offered, following her as Sadie turned away.

"Oh, no, I..." She paused as Ella gazed at her hopefully. "Um...okay, I guess." She said. They headed for the jail. When they came into view, Sadie grabbed Ella's arm. "We can't go any closer. That man thinks I'm a concubine." She said. Ella glanced at Sadie and then furrowed her eyebrows. She looked at Sadie's shorts and then met her eyes. Sadie threw her arms up. "Not you too!" She shrieked. Ella jumped.